Fun short story

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Some of you may have seen some banter on a couple threads about me driving around FL last few weeks. I work from home so my home is where I am. Met probably 50+ people since I started doing forums back in 05 when I joined The Hull Truth then others and even have a small one of my own now from the many people I've met over the years.

So I see a couple folks are in the Tampa area, decide to try and meet Scott Danforth. We PM a few times then I let him know we (wife flew in to join me) are on the way from Lauderdale. He calls and tells me his cell phone died. He gives us a place to meet up that is close to him and along the way to our destination. He’ll bring his wife and will PM me her cell phone.

Wife and I get there, stake out a place next to the water at the tiki bar and order up. I try to text his wife and I get a not valid number. So I try to call him at work and it apparently shut down (just after 5pm) as no one answered. We start looking for people who might look like they are looking for people problem is the place is crazy jammed (Friday night) and everyone is looking………….for a table. We even talked about how to look like we were looking for someone from the other perspective.

My wife looks at me and says: so – we are in Tampa, trying to meet someone we’ve ever seen, no pictures, no phone number to call and we need to be at our other forum friends place where i'm staying for the wee, in a couple hours.
Yup I replied.
<the wife dead eye stare we all know> Well this is one of your more ‘brilliant’ ideas

Well, all worked out had a couple drinks and chatted.

Good to meet you Scott. I’ll be back we’ll try to plan better next time….

Until then, here is what 30 miles offshore looked like yesterday. Fish tacos tonight.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
off by one digit (entered in haste)....... Great meeting you and the admiral. we stayed for a few hours more.

BTW, Tammy had the same conversation with me as AC did with you....... your going to meet people you dont know......

PS, got my replacement phone back, however have to rebuild my contacts.

next time your down, stay longer, we have a few spare rooms.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Joe was nothing like the old guy from the muppets...... and I wasnt like the smiley face in beer, although I did draw one

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
^^ that ^^

looking like breakfast with brw1953 tomorrow morning as I head home.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
^^ that ^^

looking like breakfast with brw1953 tomorrow morning as I head home.
What?!? Your PM said MARCH... a month from now. :confused: :confused:

I'm leaving for doc appointments for most of today. Shoot me a PM when you can.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well crap - i booked a flight on the wrong month the same time i did that. not sure what was wrong with my calendar skills that week.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
we have a few spare rooms.

you as well, would be a great halfway point for your annual trip north. I don't drive that long in one stretch an more - 10 or so is max for me nowadays. plus that might finally give me the impetus to meet the dude 20 minutes up the road, southkogs.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Joe, you use an IR thermometer for cooking ?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Aaaaannndddd... I can't quote from my phone. Sigh. :blue:

While it's almost March, it's not almost March 22nd. ;)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Have to keep an eye on grease temp - way better than sticking a thermometer in that can fall off, get in your way etc.

Funny - at home mine makes a beep when you pull the trigger and a few years ago my wife decided to start using it on the cats now when I cook they come running to the kitchen.

Plus - Alton Brown taught me that now I have a multi-tasker; boat tool, cat entertainment device and cooking utensil. So when I want to upgrade I can ROI all that back to her.

gotta plan this stuff out folks, plan it out...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Aaaaannndddd... I can't quote from my phone. Sigh. :blue:

While it's almost March, it's not almost March 22nd. ;)

If you feel up to it after your adventures today we can still meet tomorrow same place or I'm not a fancy guy so totally into the mom and pop place you mentioned. According to Google Maps you are only about two inches from 75 hwy. :D Or if better I'll shoot up US 41.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I like the scenic 41 drive. if you keep going you end up within a few miles of my dad's house in Northern WI just before Marinette

82rude

Rear Admiral
Joe was nothing like the old guy from the muppets...... and I wasnt like the smiley face in beer, although I did draw one
I'm not sure,lol.
Image result for 2 old guys from muppets

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I think the muppet guy has more hair. Joe definitely had louder pants.

tpenfield

Staff member
Great to hear you guys met up. :thumb:

Note to self: If I plan to meet up with Scott Danforth, make sure his cell phone is working :D

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I like the scenic 41 drive. if you keep going you end up within a few miles of my dad's house in Northern WI just before Marinette

and you drive within a couple miles of my house. so.....if you head that way stop at the store and pick up some steaks.