Somebody please explain nascar

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I am sure that they can find a hearing aid manufacturer to sponsor nascar

dwco5051

Commander
Stopped watching when it went it left stock car (sure loved watching the older Gen like Richard Petty) and became nascar. I like a race about the car and driver, not just the driver. I see it as just ways to sell more tickets.:

This is what stock cars should look like; As a teenager I did grub work in this drivers shop for free on the first two cars. When a new owner stepped in and they built the number 61 in a shop farther away from my home and I started college. The 61 was his first Winston Cup Car.

Joe_Mihalic_19.jpg

Joe_Mihalic_60.jpg

JOE_MIHALIC_LAMPLIGHTER1976CHEV_DELMONT_PA.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't believe it! Every teen boy's race car hero, Joe Mihalic from Murrysville, PA. His shop was across the street from Ferrington's Inn on Old Rt. 22 (Old Wm. Penn Hwy)

The Lamplighter Supper Club in Delmont was owned by the Ferri family which owned the only "super" market in town.

Grew up in Murrysville. Memories!

Click image for larger version  Name:	joemihalic.PNG Views:	1 Size:	223.2 KB ID:	10539637

dwco5051

Commander
I don't believe it! Every teen boy's race car hero, Joe Mihalic from Murrysville, PA. His shop was across the street from Ferrington's Inn on Old Rt. 22 (Old Wm. Penn Hwy)

The Lamplighter Supper Club in Delmont was owned by the Ferri family which owned the only "super" market in town.

Grew up in Murrysville. Memories!

His first shop was in the alley behind the old Ferri Market. He later moved across the street from Bob's Inn owned by Bob Dubroch. From 1974 through 1978 Joe only had two Winston Cup finishes in the top ten. Not bad for racing on a shoestring. I can remember when other cars were giving him old tires that he ran on after they were done with them.

I went to Franklin High School, Class of 1957

GA_Boater

His first shop was in the alley behind the old Ferri Market. He later moved across the street from Bob's Inn owned by Bob Dubroch. From 1974 through 1978 Joe only had two Winston Cup finishes in the top ten. Not bad for racing on a shoestring. I can remember when other cars were giving him old tires that he ran on after they were done with them.

I went to Franklin High School, Class of 1957

Remember Mon-Duke? Down from the Cozy Inn and Meier Hardware toward downtown Export.. I think Fisher Pontiac or what it's called now since Pontiac went away, is where the track used to be.

I was in Franklin Class of '64 until my mother sent me to Greensburg Central Catholic. I left town in '71 except for visits home. The place has changed a lot since I was a kid.

bassman284

Commander
Okay, short version ... 36 races were not enough. So we scored points to race 26 (that was another race), and then sectioned off the remaining 10 races so there were races within races leading up to the final race which was really only between 2 drivers with 38 other drives making laps to make it interesting. But wait, there is more ... so all of these races weren't enough so they decided to break each race into 3 races and award points for winning each race. So now we have 78 races to decide who races for the prize in the final 30 races ... not counting the total points race.

Is that clear enough for you???? :facepalm: Nascar is currently working on ways to make more races out of the 36 week season.

A very concise explanation. Do you mind if I borrow it for a racing forum? Everybody there is trying to figure it out, too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the most fun you can have watching the cars of NASCAR is turn 5 at Road America when they all crash

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Stages eliminated the "phantom cautions". And NASCAR decided to award points for winning a stage.... Amazing how that worked.... Don't worry, NASCAR loves to make changes "during" the season....

GA_Boater

The third stage still has unseen debris cautions. Watch on Sunday or rain-delayed Monday or Tuesday on a 1.5 mile track - You'll see one if the leader is running away.