Somebody please explain nascar

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ok ,I'm trying really really hard to understand nascar.First let me say ive watched more or less since David Pearson was in there.Was a jeff Gordon fan before he was Nascar (day one ).They started to lose me when they went to the chase which I still say is stupid.Now they have thrown in STAGES???????Anybody got a short version to explain how to make sense out of what nascar is doing now?On a side note whats the number to call to vote a driver off the island:facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Easy answer, 'rude - Nascar lost it's mind! I don't know any fans of the playoff and certainly no fans of stage racing. It's all artificial drama.

Final stage green flag. When is the Big One which can't be so big with so few cars running.

aspeck

Staff member
Okay, short version ... 36 races were not enough. So we scored points to race 26 (that was another race), and then sectioned off the remaining 10 races so there were races within races leading up to the final race which was really only between 2 drivers with 38 other drives making laps to make it interesting. But wait, there is more ... so all of these races weren't enough so they decided to break each race into 3 races and award points for winning each race. So now we have 78 races to decide who races for the prize in the final 30 races ... not counting the total points race.

Is that clear enough for you???? :facepalm: Nascar is currently working on ways to make more races out of the 36 week season.

alldodge

Staff member
Stopped watching when it went it left stock car (sure loved watching the older Gen like Richard Petty) and became nascar. I like a race about the car and driver, not just the driver. I see it as just ways to sell more tickets.

I know, I should just stay quite :rolleyes:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's easy. Change the channel and don't watch it.

Many have taken that to heart, Sam. With less and less TV viewers the ad bucks will dry up and so will Nascar. They can't get a long time Cup sponsor - That tells you something.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I did just that since they went to the chase .I'm lost as to why ,they do know ratings and viewership has dropped steadily for 15 years now?Ive tuned into some races where you could of dropped the mother of all bombes and most likely never hit anybody.If enough people tune out sam60 maybe you wont be able to watch either as it will cease to exist or become like indy racing with 15 fans including me.They have gone to far in playing around with a good thing to please whom?On any given sunday I use to be able to go to any of a dozen parties ,now zero nobody even barley pays attention anymore.Single most complaint was the chase and now this segmenting or what ever it is.Sometimes new is not better.Just my opinion .

sam60

Captain
Many have taken that to heart, Sam. With less and less TV viewers the ad bucks will dry up and so will Nascar. They can't get a long time Cup sponsor - That tells you something.

It's just not what it used to be as far as entertainment GA_.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Lol ,sorry sam60, missed the coma, hope I didn't insult you.One little missed coma can change a sentence and meaning big time.

82rude

Rear Admiral
What id really like to see on tv often is that europeon cabover truck racing ,that's awesome.

sam60

Captain
Lol ,sorry sam60, missed the coma, hope I didn't insult you.One little missed coma can change a sentence and meaning big time.

No worries. I misread and thought it was directed toward my comments about the the decline in the interest in racing.

I race to get horizontal to relieve back and neck pain. Just can't find a sponsor.

Last edited:

FlaCowboy

Ensign
Here is my .02 cents....

What made Nascar Big was the '79 Daytona where the fist fight after the race made Headlines...Good Ole Boy Racing.

Then Big Time Sponsors came in and decided they did not want their sponsorship embarassed by fist fights...so the sport started changing little by little...
Then the sponsors ( that were getting BEAT ) did not like still having to run 5 ( give or take ) races with the leader so far ahead in points no one could catch them for the championship.

So...now we have short races within a race...no fist fights and sponsors leaving the sport because....well...:confused:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Now that this stage racing has been explained I sort of get it. Sort of. The only sports tickets that have gone down in price "Indy Car." Tickets for the Toronto Indy this year are the same as they were 25 years ago. And you can shoot a gun off and chances you won't hit anyone. I haven't been for 10 years only because of the pain to drive into and out of T.O.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
All I know is they just keep turning left .. Maybe go the other way around the track to spice things up ! :D

Old Ironmaker

Captain
All I know is they just keep turning left .. Maybe go the other way around the track to spice things up ! :D

When we got too old to play ball we were trying to find something where we could compete. One of the boys said "stock cars" Fat guys that have to only turn left in souped up family cars. Not as simple as that. There guys today are bonafide athletes. Who else can hold their water for 500 miles.

Nascar gained popularity beyond southern state Red Necks when it caught the attention of upper middle class folk driving Beemers and Benzs. As fast as it got popular it lost the attention of that fan base. As to why I can't put my finger on it. I really don't think it had anything to with fist fights. If that is true Hockey would be the #1 sport in the USA.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I Thought driving in the Center of the universe ,was indy racing, Old Ironmaker.