2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I stayed up late again to watch live. It was sad watching Vonn get off her line, I was surprised to learn skiers don't have a practice run in the Super G. Talk about something being unsafe in these days of safety first for athletes, I don't get it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Watched a news report that showed an ABC affiliate reporting and the banner behind the guy said

"PC Cheng Winter Olympics"

I guess they had cutbacks in the editing department.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No practice runs for the Super-G because high winds kept delaying the skiing events. It wasn't by design, but why don't they start some of the weather affected outdoor sports earlier. Curling started 2 days before the opening and it's held indoors.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, the US isn't doing well in the medal count...

GA_Boater

Are we waiting for our strong events? But we got a surprise Silver in Men's Speed Skating the other day.

Biathalon, Ski Jumping, Cross Country, Luge/Skeleton and others, are not our strong suit. Maybe our Olympic committees concentrate too much on the "glamour" sports and not enough on the rest. I don't know.

medals218.PNG

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I guess we like to concentrate on the summer games....

Oly.jpg

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Congats to USA women on shoot out win over Canada in hockey for gold.With that being said why are medal games decided by shootouts?Its just plain wrong ,play till somebody scores even if it takes all night.Ive disagreed with shootouts for medals in hockey and soccer forever its just not right .Even the nhl goes to play till you drop during the playoffs.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The US goalie is gal who went to the same college as my daughter, University of Mn Duluth..... She left last year. During the 2016/2017 season her stats were: .942 save percentage and 1.65 goals-against average. That's awesome........

GA_Boater

This didn't post for some reason. :noidea:

No idea why ties are broken with shoot-outs, but they do. It doesn't seen right.

So the US Women win a shoot-out over Canada for hockey Gold. No consolation the Canadian women - You did better than the US Men.

US also were golden in Men's Halfpipe and here's a shock - First US Cross Country skiing Gold, men or women.

Canada took Gold in the Men's Cross Country - Freestyle.

Not quite current medal count;

medals222.PNG

GA_Boater

My vote for the best Olympic uniforms - The Latvian Bobsled team. They have reevits!

latvia.PNG

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOL!!
That is pretty cool!!
Probably lighter than a layer or two of 1708 w/resin as well!! :laugh:

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is it just me, or did it seem that during the Parallel Giant Slalom the Blue lane just couldn't win...
Could pretty much call the winner as the one in the Red lane..

With the exception of Lee Sang-Ho (South Korea).. Probably the only one that won from the Blue lane without the Red lane falling...

And congrats to Ester Ledeka (Czech) getting the gold for women, and the record of 2 golds in different disciplines.. (Ski's Super G, and Snowboard PGS) !!

82rude

Rear Admiral
2.11 left to go in gold medal hockey game Germany 3 Russia 2 .If Germany wins this is bigger than the miracle on ice !Opps I typed too soon.3-3 Germany on pp and the reds score.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I thought I was watching it live according to my stupid tv guide but maybe I was watching a repeat,lol.Well it was new to me anyways,lol.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Its too bad Germany didn't win as that would of been quite the Cinderella story.They should be proud of themselves never the less.

GA_Boater

Didn't OAR win it in the overtime already?

What should have been on LIVE at that time was the Closing Ceremonies. Instead NBC was showing replays of Gold Medal hockey games and other finished events. They act like the US and Canada all go to bed at 2AM - 11PM PST. No wonder the ratings are off.

The games are over (except for NBC's tape-delayed Closing Ceremonies tonight at 7PM, 4PM on the West Coast) so the final medal count;

medalsf1.PNGmedalsf2.PNGmedalsf3.PNG

Norway won the medal battle and tied with Germany with 14 Golds each. Canada beat the US with 11 golds, 29 total against our 9 Golds, 23 total. Congrats to our northern neighbors. :canada: But our women took the hockey Gold. :usa2:

Ester Ledecka's double Gold in Snowboard and Skiing was historic. Lindsay Vonn not medaling is historic in a way with all the hype.

US Mens Miracurl On Ice and Women's Team Cross-Country Skiing Gold medals were also historic - First ever US Golds in Curling and Cross-Country Skiing. A US skiing official promised Kikkan Randall 12 years ago that he would dye his beard pink if she ever won a Gold medal. After Randall's win in her 5th and final Olympics, this Tom Kelly's new look;

pinkbeard.PNG

I think the Latvian Bobsled team deserve a Gold medal for their uniforms and paint scheme;

reevits.PNG

Reevits everywhere - Sled, helmets and uniforms. Way cool.

Until the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo.............................

64osby

Admiral
So NBC Olympic coverage could be considered fake news? :eek: Delaying times, not showing important events, announcers sticking their foot in there mouth.

Figure skating is supposed to be a big draw, but i'm sure there were many other events taking place that could have been covered, or at least touched on. I have antenna TV so we have access to only NBC. Don't know if they have events shown on multiple other networks.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I thought I was watching it live according to my stupid tv guide but maybe I was watching a repeat,lol.Well it was new to me anyways,lol.
Oh SHOOT!! LOL... Yeah, I had watched that game, then the womens 30k X-Country on the "Olympic Channel"...
Sorry 'bout that!

82rude; said:
Its too bad Germany didn't win as that would of been quite the Cinderella story.They should be proud of themselves never the less.
Absolutely!! Was nice to see them smiling getting the Silver!!

GA_Boater; said:
What should have been on LIVE at that time was the Closing Ceremonies. Instead NBC was showing replays of Gold Medal hockey games and other finished events. They act like the US and Canada all go to bed at 2AM - 11PM PST. No wonder the ratings are off.
That'd 'splain it! :D With my tv service, I had both NBC and the "Olympic Channel".. I think the Olympic channel was showing things Live.. .(At least closer to live anyway...)
NBC would start at 8pm for me, and seemed a lot like recaps of the days events.. Hmm...

Anyway, All around good games I'd say!! :)