I hate car shopping!!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We bought a used 07' Nissan Altima with the 290HP 3.5 litre in 08' with 35,000 kms on her. I have bought and destroyed cars of all ilk's in the last 48 years. The only car I didn't destroy was my 1986 L-88 Sting Ray. Had I not gotten married I would have blown the engine on it too. German, English, American, Japanese even a Korean car, I can kill them all. I have in the last 30 years tend to keep our main vehicle for my wife for at least 10 years, she isn't a auto killer like am I. I have to say the absolute best vehicle I have even owned is that Nissan. The only thing other than regular maintenance that went was bushings on the front idler arm if I recall correctly. We have put over 350,000 kilometers on her. It shines like a new car. The front end was plowed into when a plow actually backed into it, new plastic and 1 headlight, aluminum hood straightened and painted. No injuries thank God, could have been bad.

So for the last 10 days I spend a few hours on line shopping. What a pain in the lower extremities. They want up to $25,000 for a 2 year old Nissan Maxima here! 17K for an Altima and they don't offer the 3.5, no way, no how. I have to look at the badges on todays cars to see what make it is, not model what make. They are all clones from GM's to Hyundai. I told my wife our budget was going to be 14K CDN, yea right bucko. The only cars below that range on the local car lot are Fiat 500's. At that budget they have 4 year old mid size sedans like the Chrysler 200. I have to say this is the largest privately owned used car lot in Canada, it was 5 years ago. It is something like 25 acres. Haldimand Motors, Cayuga Ontario. It's huge. The family has bought 8 or more cars there. No dicker policy. 100% bumper to bumper warranty for 30 days, not bad when dealing with used cars and trucks. I had a line on a pals Mom's car as she has unfortunately taken ill but that fell through. Back to shopping, this is not fun, especially in dead of winter. We are going to look at a 2015 Jeep TJ tomorrow. It all depends if it rides like my 86' YJ, if it does I won't be riding in it. Wish us luck. I do not like this but we are down to 1 vehicle and unless I drive my wife to work and pick her up I'm deserted here. I'm not a morning guy, unless going out on the boat and then I'll go without sleep. My wife pointed that out, clearly, today.

Wish us luck, RANT COMPLETE.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
car prices have gone up 50% since '08

FYI, a salvage trans for your altima with a warranty from a canadian salvage yard is under 800 CDN

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't Google well Scott Danforth I guess. I put feelers out there since I knew the tranny was going, September. I can't find one, anywhere. Do you have a lead for me Scott, please. If for that price I will jump on one, simple to swap out really. Everything else works on her, including the heated rear view mirrors, you folks don't have much use for them in FLA I imagine.

It wasn't an 86' Corvette Stingray it was a 1976. I think 77' was the last year for the Stingray. Then Corvette went for a pooch for more than a few years once they came out with the bubble window, 78 if I remember right. They were built like human waste for years after that. Now they are a Super Car that the average 20 something can only dream of. I was 23 when I bought mine, not 43 or even 63 like a few of my guys have.

I see it's going to be 79F today in Tampa, better put the seat heater on for your commute!!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the C3 corvettes were 1968-1982. last year of the steel front bumper was 1972, last year of the steel rear bumper was 1973. last year of the big block was 1974. the cars from 1975-1982 were pretty much identical and as you mentioned, a bit lack-luster.

The C4's came out late in 1983 with the cross-fire (Cease-Fire) motor and went to TPI in '84 with the F-bodies following suite in '85

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ive been seriously thinking of a new bomb around car and relegate the truck to boat hauling duty only.Its just me so I don't have to please or answer to a wife.Im pretty well set on a Hyundai accent in hatchback which is only in Canada .Well equipped for well under 20 grand .Here,s a review of the sedan which I'm not interested in.My friend has a little Kia ,I believe the RIO and its actually a pretty nice sub compact ride.http://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/accent/2018/2018-hyundai-accent-first-drive-review/

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yes you have that all right Scott.

82rude My wife is 6' tall mostly all legs, a compact isn't going to fit. We drove a 14' Caddy XTS today, boring as a car can be. Might as well be a Buick. More shopping.

southkogs

Staff member
See if you can track down a Chrysler 300 to test drive. I've liked that car and the Charger when I rented them this past year.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I'm 6 feet also and I guarantee I weight a lot more.I will let you know how it fits.Some of those cars are deceptively large on the inside.I wont be cramming myself in any vehicle as I want something I can travel all over with.Car buying is very personal though.People can give you all the suggestions in the world but if you don't like it ,you don't like it.Its either a new car or a major refit on the f150 to last another 20 years if possible.I know if I buy a car the truck will last till I die as it will only get about 1 k a year on it.Maybe a tad more,lol.I also have a woody on for one of these
97243_Front_3-4_Web.JPG

Last edited:

RGrew176

Commander
My first car was a 59 Ford Galaxie. The only difference was the color, light blue and it was a 2 door. I paid $75 for the car in August of 1967. You always remember your first car.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
believe it or not, the Hyundai Soul fits people over 6', is somewhat fun to drive and gets good fuel economy for a cheap car

Old Ironmaker

Captain
believe it or not, the Hyundai Soul fits people over 6', is somewhat fun to drive and gets good fuel economy for a cheap car

Our 87 year old next door neighbour has a Soul. I drive her to and from the airport to go down your way every winter, Winterhaven. I don't fit in it comfortably and am not 6 feet tall, shoulder to shoulder. Not a car conducive to country driving, especially along Lake Erie's north shore where we live in Winter, no way, no how. Besides that my wife isn't a Hyundai Soul kinda gal. We drove a 16' CTS Cady today and a XTS yesterday that she picked out both (shows her tastes in cars), too boring she said. I agreed. I swore I would never own another Chrysler after I had a base model Intrepid I had for work. I however looked at a few late modem 300's and am impressed other than the shift selector knob. Reminds me of a childhood friends fathers push button Valiant, remember those, another freids father had it on his Dad's Imperial as well. More shopping after this snow storm is over here. Actually taking out a car in snow conditions is a smart thing where we live.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My first car was a 59 Ford Galaxie. The only difference was the color, light blue and it was a 2 door. I paid $75 for the car in August of 1967. You always remember your first car.

My closest friend who we met at Jr. Football practice the 1st day of High School way back were talking when we he was here for a visit. We went through al the cars we had since HS and I searched for the prices of those cars today. Oh my, if we would have stored them and kept all the parts moving we would be up well past 1 million Samolians today between the 2 of us. Only a few of them cost maybe 3 grand then.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I came within a whisker of buying a 440 superbird for under 5 grand WAAA.I went to the Hyundai dealer today and no accents atall.They will be getting the 5 door hatchback in june or so (Canada only vehicle) That's the one I'm interested in.or maybe the new KONA in awd if its capable of towing at least my small 16 ss160..Ive heard rumors that their thinking of bringing the jeep rescue vehicle back to Canada for 2020?Lada Niva.Not much of a gm fan unless its a new vette,lol.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The VW's today are amazing, and they come with amazing pricing too. My brother returned his diesel Jetta this summer because of the VW scam.

I was thinking of buying an early model Jeep TJ that would tow the boat and trade my 11' Silverado with very low miles in or sell privately and put that towards whatever my lady wants. Sticker shock, they want 6K to 10K for a 2000 to 2005 YJ with over 100,000 miles on them. Back to shopping. I hate car shopping, Oh, I already said that. Did I ever mention I hate car shop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

southkogs

Staff member
I've driven several VWs, and I've enjoyed all of them. Even the beetle with the 2.0 Turbo was a really fun car to drive.

82rude

Rear Admiral
The one I looked at was at a vw dealer and is a turbo diesel.If I read the site correctly they have re mapped the so called scam ones .Personally id by a vw diesel anytime and never even blink .Id like to visit my grandson out in B.C and around 1200 km on a tank of fuel would be a bonus.But would a 2013 last another 15 to 20 years?My local dealer use to have a high mileage row of rabbits and jetta,s back in the day and all were between 500 to750 thousand milers.If I remember correctly there were 7 of them all just by a weird fluke being serviced at the same time.