How life changes one

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I know from previous conversations that many here also do some shooting and I have rekindled the interest and even got the wife involved. So far she is enjoying it and becoming a pretty good shot.

Thus all pretty much came about as a result of all the trips and extended stays I had been making to the hospital and having the wife home alone and the changing nature of our neighborhood. It just seemed right to do and to teach her how to handle a firearm. She also agreed and she has always been to avoid guns and she was uncomfortable around them.

The first firearm I bought was a Taurus PT92C and I have been impressed with it for the day it arrived. It is also the first firearm that my wife has ever shot. That in it's self is quite a story. One that took a bit but has come to a happy conclusion.
After about a year of shooting and the wife buying her own pistol she has just purchased her second pistol. An XD Mod2 45acp.

There is no way I would have ever conceived 2 years ago that my Lovely wife would become a pistol tote'n momma! If the poop ever hits the fan I will have no reservations about her standing at my back. Or in front for that matter!

ezbtr

Commander
awesome! I'm just gettin back into it as well, just got house in TX, carry in truck and car, fully loaded, planning on getting gf a 357 so she can shoot 38, 38 spec and 357 and probably a 9 mm for me for daily CCW, my 45 is heavy on the hip :)

southkogs

Staff member
I've got the PT24/7 in 9MM. I've been pretty happy with the Taurus firearms.

The Admiral here doesn't care to shoot too much, but she has a little just so she knows the firearms and can handle 'em. Humorously, she can shoot darn near as well as I do. Kinda' a natural, I guess. :eek:

ezbtr

Commander
Had a 357 Taurus 20 ish yrs ago, satin nickle, very good shooter, matched my 45 ;)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have always been a shooter and my wife is a good shot in her own right, never had to teach her anything, first time she picked it up she was hitting the target, she can hold her own but is not really inclined to carry anymore. She did carry and actually taught classes to women for a while a few years ago. There are always guns out and about in our house, right now, there are 3 newly built AR's leaning up against one of the living room chairs, my .45 is sitting on the coffee table and my .357 mag is on the love seat, 10/22 Ruger sitting by the front door and a Model 94 30-30 by the back door. When you live in Wolf and Grizz country, guns are just part of the furniture..

82rude

Rear Admiral
If I lived in the U.S.A. I would be carrying a .44 mag superblack hawk in my new home in Montana.I would also be getting a sharps rifle for hunting.

aspeck

Staff member
Love shooting ... wife and I just don't do it enough (like boating, can you ever do it enough?)! She is fairly accurate ... accurate enough that I would not stand in front of her! Her home handgun is a Taurus Judge loaded with .410 #4 shot, 00 Buck, and .45 hollow points ... if they are stupid enough to keep coming, they are going to get increasingly bigger holes in their chest. She is currently looking for a nice carry piece that is comfortable in her petite hands. I thought she would like the Ruger LCP .380 Auto, but it is too small for her. When she picks up the right one, I will know it (the checkbook will be lighter!).

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I have been shooting my whole life, got our boys into it when they turned 12.
wife never had an interest. than one day a man walked into our house while she was there alone. luckily we had a good dog.

that night wife asked me where I kept the handgun and would I show her how to shoot.

today she has a concealed carry permit and owns a few handguns and even an AR that she enjoys shooting.

was actually very proud of her when we took our carry class. lots of the women in the class were nervous and one had no idea how to load or shoot the gun her husband had sent her with.
Miss Avenger got to the line, loaded up and easily qualified. her favorite is a 38 revolver but she also likes the 9mm she has.

it helps that we have a range in our backyard so she felt very at ease shooting without a bunch of people watching while she was learning

dwco5051

Commander
Both my previous wife and present one are shooters. The first was the daughter of a career army Sgt.Major and cut her teeth on a 1911. When she started carrying it was a S&W 36 snubby and recoil was never a problem. We used to go to the range on a regular basis even when her cancer had her in a wheelchair.

My present wife was raised on a farm and firearms were just another tool you grew up with for both hunting and varmint control. Since we live out in the sticks we are well aware that calling 911 can easily be a wait of 45 minutes or more for a trooper to respond. We have set up drills that we practice who would be the contact person and who will provide cover for various places in the house. If someone is pounding on my door at night it is either my neighbor across the lane telling me his barn is on fire or someone that is up to no good. No I am not paranoid, just prepared.

Now I used to work with an officer from another district that almost goes over the line of being paranoid. When he built his house in the middle of nowhere it has no windows on the first floor, just slits. His entrance hall is actually set up as a sally port. A few years back he bought a working metal detector at a government auction and has it in the hallway. Over the years he has attended Gunsite Academy and was always top gun at our semi-annual qualifications. For obvious reasons he is single.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Wow what a way to live.I have nothing against being prepared but it sounds like that guy has issues.

bigdee

Commander
She is currently looking for a nice carry piece that is comfortable in her petite hands. I thought she would like the Ruger LCP .380 Auto, but it is too small for her. When she picks up the right one, I will know it (the checkbook will be lighter!).

Show her the SCCY 9mm. Comfortable double stack DO action. Long trigger pull makes it a safe choice to purse carry. Bonus....its cheap and reliable. Also comes in many cool color choices. IMO I don't like to carry my more expense guns just in case it gets lost or confiscated.

southkogs

Staff member
bonz_d mentioned their Taurus and the XD. Both are gun's I've shot (I really like the 1911 frame) and my Taurus is a lower end version of the same vein as the XD. But what I found was I wasn't carrying it just due to bulk.

So, my daily carry gun is the LCP. .380, and nothing you'll shoot for too long at the range. But it's not a bad little gun and I'm a big Ruger fan.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I carry a Charles Daly DDA 10-45 Impact Bul, same pistol that the Israeli military carried for years, compact .45 ACP 10+1 double stack magazine, actually light weight and accurate, Wife carries a Smith 9mm compact that she picked up a few years ago, it packs a pretty good punch with +P rounds in it. As I said, she does not carry much anymore, but she is good with it.