Getting your 19 yr old (1st year in college) a credit card

ezbtr

Commander
Not sure to go through his bank or mine, what's your guys experience? Thx :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The banks will not issue the kid a credit card without sufficient credit history.

Middle daughter (accounting major at the time) got a Capital One Student card. Not really a credit card per say. Requires a minimum deposit ($500?) then charge and repay against the balance.

Built her credit history and was able to get her own card her senior year.

Going the PNC Virtual Wallet route with her younger sister. More interest in rich boy friends than credit cards...lol

bigdee

Commander
Times may have changed but when my daughter was in college the credit companies visited the campus and were like vultures. They would sign up students with no credit history and issue them a card knowing good and well the parents would bail them out.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Our daughter has a credit card thru our account. It's thru Citi Bank not our personal bank. Has her name on the card. She was just added to the account. She's piggy backing off our good credit and getting offers from other companies...

angus63

Captain
Created a small balance checking account in their names in my bank and they received a debit card for that account in their name with spend limits. I have small overdraft protection to make sure there are no penalties for mistakes. I see their transactions real-time on my phone (set up alerts for all activity) and can replenish their accounts from my phone too. Wanted them to be responsible and I wanted control. Win-win
They also work part time while at school and direct deposit their paychecks into those accounts!

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Created a small balance checking account in their names in my bank and they received a debit card for that account in their name with spend limits. I have small overdraft protection to make sure there are no penalties for mistakes. I see their transactions real-time on my phone (set up alerts for all activity) and can replenish their accounts from my phone too. Wanted them to be responsible and I wanted control. Win-win
Yep, that's pretty much how the PNC Virtual Wallet works. Only draw back is that it doesn't build a credit history.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Only draw back is that it doesn't build a credit history.

Yep, that's why thy need a credit card. And don't pay it off every month, leave a "Small" balance. That way if your prompt on the monthly payments, good credit is established, They want to see payment history. Paying it off every month doesn't build credit either.... Us ol' farts don't have to worry about it since we're already established, it's for just the youngin's......

angus63

Captain
They also have minimal Stafford student loans in their names that they pay monthly from those accounts to kickstart their credit history. They often receive credit card offers but I squash the idea and sleep better.
Their accounts are getting a workout with textbook orders this week!!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I just got them one in their name on my USAA account. It is emergency use only, or when mamma is feeling sad she lets them get a tank of fuel. Not sure on building credit. If I'm on the hook for the money I want to be able to watch and shut down if needed. They are old enough now they have their own but they still have ours - just in case.

I'm no expert but my credit score report tells weird things. We have no debt but I pay $4-6k on my credit card every month so I show payments. And dings me for no recent payments but see previous statement. Dnd dings me for not having enough avail revolving credit but with all avail limits on all cards we have over $200 k avail to us?

Really don't get it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
We got our son a credit card when he was a junior in college. It was with Bank of America, and it was in his name and mine, so it piggybacked on our credit but allowed him to build a credit history, too. (He also has a couple of small loans for college, some subsidized, some not.)

He has now graduated and just took a job, so we went car shopping. Because he had the credit card, and because we was diligent in paying regularly, he had excellent credit and was able to qualify for a new car loan even though his job doesn't start for a couple of weeks. It really gave him a leg up as he is starting his life as a self-supporting (I hope!) adult.

The downside to the joint card is that it can affect your credit, too, so you have to watch the credit limit on the card (it affects your credit-income ratio) and if the child is not responsible with the card, you are on the hook and your credit rating can be affected if he/she is late on paying bills, etc.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

ezbtr

Commander
Thanks guys, sorry for slow reply, I'm not getting email notifications! Arghhhhh :)

ezbtr

Commander
I'll check w/him, he's so busy only talk once a week/2 weeks time, he's in San Diego for college and me in TX :)

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
We have always had our kids get their own credit card. Most recent, our youngest, a freshman in college got one through our bank, she has an account there. Credit card is in her name. They pay them off in full every month.We did the same for our next-to-youngest. She has now graduated and got a new car financed (for lease) without our name on anything. I am no financial, or credit card, expert - but that's our experience

JoLin

Vice Admiral
We have always had our kids get their own credit card. Most recent, our youngest, a freshman in college got one through our bank, she has an account there. Credit card is in her name. They pay them off in full every month.We did the same for our next-to-youngest. She has now graduated and got a new car financed (for lease) without our name on anything. I am no financial, or credit card, expert - but that's our experience

Ditto. My kids have always had their own credit and auto insurance completely separate from Mom's and Dad's. More expensive in the case of insurance, but I contributed financially to help them out in the early days. It made them completely responsible for their own financial well-being without risking ours. One of the kids got himself into a bit of a bind early on, but I helped him out a little and showed him how to fix it, which he did.

My .02

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My kid is a senior in college. Car/insurance is still under us. Killing the insurance for my business truck. We don't mind. She's never asked for, or expected, anything throughout life from us financially. So she's very appreciative. I've seen kids "expect" their parents support them financially. She knows when she graduates and gets a decent job the money train with be shutdown. She's more than understanding..... She already pays for living expenses from monies at her job.....

ezbtr

Commander
yeah my boy doing well, pays own car ins., works 2 ish jobs(Door dash, Jamba Juice and tutors) , I'll look more into it when he's here in May :)