Getting a new puppy, parvo survivor

ezbtr

Commander
Australian Shepard/maybe lab?? mix
2 little 2.5 month old guys here need a home, anyone heard anything about parvo virus survivors? Super playful, all shots. fixed, Thx!

sam60

Captain
Tough call, Heinz. I love dogs but ask yourself if you think you can save he/her. I want another dog in the worst way but holding off for now.

ezbtr

Commander
no...............these boys ARE survivors and healthy, 2.5 mos old :)

alldodge

Staff member
Over the years I've had several pups which contracted Parvo, some made it some didn't. All those that made it lived a long time and had no other issues.

Parvo is a virus like a bad case of the flu and pups get vaccinated hopefully before they contract it. They start loosing fluids from both ends and they dehydrate. Just need to be strong enough to last

ezbtr

Commander
They forgot to give us meds 2 days ago, so he wasnt feeling so great, went and got meds today, he's much better :)

64osby

Admiral
My first pup was a Shepard Collie. He had parvo when given to me. My "free" dog cost about $700 in the first month. He survived and went on to live for 15 years. He was a fantastic dog and have great memories of him.

The one thing they said was his digestive system might be more sensitive then most. Changes in food and special treats would often make him a really gas us out. :eek:

ezbtr

Commander
sorry I keep mixing posts, but here he is, healthy, playful, smart 11 weeks, a few more treatments/shots to go at shelters cost, Kooper!

Attachments

• Kooper1.4.jpg
    Kooper1.4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Great looking pup, going to be a good friend through their life

Just a note: parvo is just an illness which all dogs are subject to, just like polio, Measles and other are to humans. If the vaccination happens soon enough no one get sick, if it does not then they do. Once the dog has had or made it past parvo, then your good forever

ezbtr

Commander
Great looking pup, going to be a good friend through their life

Just a note: parvo is just an illness which all dogs are subject to, just like polio, Measles and other are to humans. If the vaccination happens soon enough no one get sick, if it does not then they do. Once the dog has had or made it past parvo, then your good forever

yup :)