RIP--Tom Petty

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Well a very sad day, and another legend gone. He was an amazing musician and made some great music that will live on for ages.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
Wow! Went to lunch and heard his songs played on 2 different stations but they never mentioned anything. Thought it was odd that I heard him on 2 stations in the same day as I hardly ever hear his stuff anymore. The one today was 'Don't come around here no more'. Awesome tune! RIP Tom Petty

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The guy isn't dead yet. Headlines have him deceased, but their articles don't. Sounds like it's a matter of time.... LAPD and CBS screwed up earlier today. Last thing I heard that might be true is they took him off life support. Even Rolling Stone had him dead and his daughter lit them up... It's a circus..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I did not know he had passed until now . My wife said he had a stroke or something ... Damn this terrible news ... Grew up down the road in Gainesville Fl ...
RIP .....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Massive heart attack.... He had a pulse when they found him, but that was it....

sam60

Captain
I sat am my desk and the news shed tears. One of my favorites.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Everything points to he is, but probably won't make it.......

It's all over FB and people have him deceased, but few people seem to read the articles...

sam60

Captain
Tom Petty was taken off of life support which is not a good sign.

Roller coaster day. My thoughts and prayers are with the Family and Friends of those that were killed or injured in Las Vegas. I hope all can find there way to healing.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I couldn't count the times riding in my truck singing TP tunes ... The Waiting is one of my favorites ..
As far as the Vegas shooting .. What a piece of human debris that guy was ... Thats all I can say about that ..
Prayers to all that were harmed and killed and there family's ...

Maclin

Admiral
The family made the official announcement of his passing this evening, gave time of death as 8:40pm PST. Really love those tunes man.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Tom Petty's manager has now reported his death.

RIP

sam60

Captain
I guess I'm an emotional old fool...Seen him in concert early in his career. I'm hurting by his passing as I love his music. RIP TP.

sam60

Captain
Last Dance for Mary Jane....the youtube video is creepy but I love the song.

82rude

Rear Admiral
So sad,for fans of music its a heartbreaker,pun intended.Think i will put his album on the akai turntable tonight.

southkogs

Staff member
Good musician and he seemed like a pretty down-to-earth guy. Sad to hear of him passing so young.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My friend in the music business talked to his manager at 12:30PM yesterday. They already knew then he wasn't going to recover and they had already taken him off life support.

My favorite singer. Saw him at New Orleans Jazz Fest a few years ago. He only lived a few miles from me when I was at home still going to college.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Seen him a quite a few times in the Milwaukee area, the Arena, Alpine Valley, and 6 times at Summeriest.

He wrote the soundtrack to life, that you sing when driving alone in your car.

There's a really nice 4 hour documentary of him on netflix.