Found out the deer around here are just as interested in my dinner as I am in them!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Keep planting the winter corn kernels. The kind you sow on top so you can get a crop in before the snow flies and for some reason the bags are often mislabeled as deer corn. I never saw a deer grow corn! :rolleyes:

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Anyone know what deer are like to eat compared to moose? We don't have deer here but i wish the government would introduce them, i'd love the chance to hunt them. Moose on the other hand are numerous and a real danger when driving in the evening and night. People are killed here every year in collisions with moose.

aspeck

Staff member
Hard to describe the difference between Moose meat and deer meat. It is subtle, but there is a difference.

bassman284

Commander
Anyone know what deer are like to eat compared to moose? We don't have deer here but i wish the government would introduce them, i'd love the chance to hunt them. Moose on the other hand are numerous and a real danger when driving in the evening and night. People are killed here every year in collisions with moose.
I don't know about moose but here in Iowa deer love corn and soybeans. Other veg too but farmers get crazed about the corn and soybean damage. With corn they like when the ears are new and the kernels are still soft and milky, like sweetcorn. With soybeans I don't know if they ear the actual beans but they love the leaves on the soy plants. A herd of deer can strip several acres of soybeans overnight. Iowa is a popular deer hunting area because that diet really fattens them up.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
We have corn, alfalfa, apples, plums, tomatoes, pears and black berries, so the deer, elk and bear like to hang around, almost forgot, there's also salmon in the river right now.

You can throw apples for the deer and they chase them like a dog with a ball. We just watch them, I don't hunt, I only fish, no need for two hobbies where you can be totally humiliated by an animal.