Boatinfo

Status
Not open for further replies.

alldodge

Staff member
Anyone know what's going on with Boatinfo?
Past couple days it appears to be off line

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I just checked my link and yes it appears jumbled up but "kinda working" http://boatspecs.iboats.com/

We have been undergoing some maintenence things and that probably got caught up in the wake.

alldodge

Staff member
Been missing being able to look up stuff on the manuals

Bob, Is Boatinfo part of iboats site?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Been missing being able to look up stuff on the manuals

Bob, Is Boatinfo part of iboats site?

It has been down since the 10th or 11th before the iboats change on Friday.

It is NOT part of iboats. Just a reference site we can use - When it's up. It does seem to have up/down cycles.

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi

Unfortunately Boatinfo is down right now, we're sorry for the inconvenience.

The site has been running for 7 years without very little issues, and without any upgrades either.
It still uses a lot of Flash, it's completely outdated, not mobile-friendly, and was created in a time where tablets and smartphones weren't around, but it works !
The server hasn't been updated in at least 5 years, and in a somewhat stupid and futile attempt to upgrade some things, it crashed completely (note to self...leave things that work alone).

The good news is that the site, just as it was, will be up in a few days, this saturday at the latest (we hope).
The server issues are almost solved, but everything has to be restored from backups etc. it takes a little while to get it all running again, the site is old and huge.

A message regarding the problem will be displayed on the site the coming week (it's already there, should come up as soon as DNS records are updated).

A newer, more modern version, where everything is in HTML5 etc. has been in the works for over a year, but with a site containing 350 000+ files, over 40 gigabytes of data (and no ads by the way), it's time consuming converting all the files, and making sure it looks the same, but it's coming, hopefully during the upcoming winter some time (that's what we said last winter too).

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Many thanks adeneo, and thanks to the staff at boatinfo. I like and very much appreciate the site. If you guys need help may suggest post a link for funds, I would help.

GA_Boater

Thanks for the update on the availability of Boatinfo, adeneo. We've become more and more reliant on the site.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
so how is boatinfo funded? I'd also be glad to make a donation.

GA_Boater

Guys - As much as we use the heck out of Boatinfo, any talk of funding and donations needs to be done privately. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.