cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
then my beautiful made dessert.

rSV1cwx.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
a bit of salad, mash potatoes with lots of butter and gravy and some fresh baked rolls

ZyEnDGk.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
jack cheese in roasted pablanos and a touch of some leftover taco meat. Then an egg baked in it.

8ubNjjd.jpg

Old Ironmaker

Captain
redneck joe Every year when I host the Super Bowl, my turn, I try and make a dish famous in the city of the teams playing. i.e. Philly vs New England, Philly Steak sangwidges and NE clam chawdah. Please give me a good KC dish. Maybe real deal KC BBQ recipe? Rice a Roni for San Fran, that's all they deserve. Probably a Chinese dish or 2 actually. Anyone wearing a Jimmy G jersey gets Rice a Roni.

edit: Is it permissible for a northerner to make KC BBQ?

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Really not hard, if you have a smoker. Otherwise use a bit of liquid smoke and buy some sauce. I'm a fan of KC Masterpeice and I heavily pepper my meat before cooking. There is no real requirement to use a certain meat however KC was a cowtown back in the day. Read up on burnt ends.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Found this

Certain regions of this country are fiercely loyal to their particular style of barbecue, and Missouri is no exception. The fine city of Kansas City is the birthplace of dry-rubbed barbecue drizzled in a mouthwatering tomato-molasses sauce, and while restaurants here don't discriminate among types of meat (unlike Texas barbecue, pork, chicken, beef, and even turkey are fair game), no upstanding KC smoke joint goes without its own version of the sticky, finger-licking condiment.

It all got started in the early 20th century when Henry Perry opened a stand in downtown Kansas City to serve smoked meats to workers in the city's garment district. Enthusiastic eaters described his secret sauce as "harsh" and "peppery" and followed him throughout the city until he ultimately landed in a trolley barn in the 1920s. Arthur and Charlie Bryant took over the business upon Perry's death in 1946, when they added molasses to his blend to sweeten up the sauce. Today, Arthur Bryant's is still at the heart of Kansas City barbecue.

Keep reading to learn more.

At modern-day Kansas City barbecue restaurants, you'll find ribs, chicken, brisket, links, and more served up next to coleslaw, potato salad, and baked beans. A delicacy particular to this style of barbecue is a sandwich of burnt ends: the flavorful, charred tips of the meat. And while the best-known mass-marketed sauce to get its start in this magnificent town is KC Masterpiece, most well-regarded barbecue establishments — from Arthur Bryant's to Gates & Sons to B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ — bottle and sell their own blends. Have you tried Kansas City-style barbecue? How does it stack up vs. its other regional brethren?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Thanks Joe you the man. I am going to buy a good sized brisket from our local butcher. Around here you have to order one, none in grocery stores. From the butcher it is gaurenteed to be local beef and good. One of my buddy's that is coming has a smoker. I'll dry rub it, smoke it and then slather it with my BBQ recipe sauce which isn't far from the KC BBQ sauce recipes I have read online. I'll order some freshly baked Panini buns from our bakery in town in the afternoon. A sangwidge is only as good as the bread.

Thanks again Joe, go Chiefs and Chefs,

Johnny D

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Bread, look up on boy rolls on king whether flour website

Joe one must know ones limitations in life. Mine is baking. There isn't a recipe out there that I can't burn. I'm terrible at following recipes. My baking is limited to only 1 thing, home made pizza. If I tried to bake those delicious sounding bread we would be eating brisket on Wonder Bread. Oh I can bake the stuff that comes in cardboard cans you unroll, sometimes.

Considering your team is playing are you having a Super Bowl get together Joe? If so what are you cooking up for it? Also do you deliver? I can make it to your place if you PM me the address. I have an uncle across the river from St. Louis in Illinois I can visit too.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
So forgive wondering what the hell my last post meant, don't try. Between too much wine and a really old tablet with outdated spell check, I look like a drunk having a stroke.

irondude, see link below. Half the recipe unless you plan to eat bread for a few days or have company. It is almost as easy as pizza dough. And since I've started weighing ingredients my baking has much improved.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/nola-style-french-bread-rolls-recipe

We are actually going to a local restaurant which we do only once or twice each year - but heard on the local classic rock station (small town radio) is a Chiefs fan and the restaurant is doing a 3 hour remote so we'll show up in our 'uniforms' to support our team for pregame. Then home, probably by ourselves as everyone else is a Titans fan no one cares - especially since we were the ones to knock them out. Everyone is invited with the caveat they bring their own food. I'm planning some wings which I've got par cooked in the freezer (quick fry and coat so easy) and shrimp po boys since the wife doesn't like oysters like I do.

side note my new go to fry coating is 2 parts bread crumbs to one part corn starch.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Believe it or not Joe that blurb you wrote brought me to the King Arthur site for rolls. And here I thought it was me not being able to read Amuricun. We don't have King Arthur flour where I am.