cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Beef in a pressure cooker

XILKiuI.jpg

If you like braised food but never have the time, or desire to try to cook for one or two, you should get a small pressure cooker. I took four frozen beef short ribs, two whole onions, handful of button mushrooms, three smashed garlic cloves, salt and pepper and went from frozen to perfect in 90 minutes – on low. Prob could have done 45 had I kept on a higher heat. Then just add a bit of cornstarch to thicken and get shiny and a pat or two of butter. I left the pieces of onion and garlic in the sauce but it could be strained if one doesn’t like chunky sauce. Was both pretty and awesome tasting.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
redneck joe . Your viddles always look great. I don't like coming here much because I want to reach into the screen and take a chunk of whtever to scarf down. Canadian cooking really doesn't exist. Meat and Potato's, brown gravy and Yorkshire Pudding. Basic WASP fare with Scottish, Irish and English influences. Nothing we can really call our own. French influences from Quebec can be good but is bland to me. Our Acadians (Cajuns) were deported by the British south to Louisiana but all that good Cajun and Creole food was developed in the US. If it weren't for our ethnic dishes and American influenced food we all would be eating Pork or Beef roasts with mashed and brown gravy everyday.

What is Carolina sauce red? How do you make it, your way? I BBQ 5 times a week during spring, summer and fall.

Just yesterday I remembered I don't know recipes. My brother came with his new wife for a visit. You come here you don't leave until I have fed you. I Qued some pork chops and took out a frozen container of my pasta tomato sauce. New SIL whom was born in Scotland asked for my recipe. There isn't one. I cook by feel, smell, sight, taste, touch and sound. Can tell when different dry pastas are done just by the colour of the water and the sound of the boil. She doesn't get it and never will. I just gave them a Tupperware full of sauce, much easier than writing a recipe but promised her I will try. Someone else asked me last week how I make Bolognaise sauce? There are more ways to make it than all the people that live in Bolognia. Same goes for most Italian cooking.

Last edited:

dwco5051

Commander
Canadian cooking really doesn't exist. Meat and Potato's, brown gravy and Yorkshire Pudding. Basic WASP fare with Scottish, Irish and English influences. Nothing we can really call our own. French influences from Quebec can be good but is bland to me. Our Acadians (Cajuns) were deported by the British south to Louisiana but all that good Cajun and Creole food was developed in the US. If it weren't for our ethnic dishes and American influenced food we all would be eating Pork or Beef roasts with mashed and brown gravy everyday.

Understand what you mean about Canadian cooking. Three of my grandparents were born in Wales and my paternal grand father was a descendent of the first Puritans. My mothers father thought the way to spice up a meal was to put a dash of mint vinegar on his lamb. Used to spend a lot of time in Montreal and will say the viande fumee sandwiches were terrific. Was after I left home and got to travel thanks to Uncle Sam that I discovered real food.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Understand what you mean about Canadian cooking. Three of my grandparents were born in Wales and my paternal grand father was a descendent of the first Puritans. My mothers father thought the way to spice up a meal was to put a dash of mint vinegar on his lamb. Used to spend a lot of time in Montreal and will say the viande fumee sandwiches were terrific. Was after I left home and got to travel thanks to Uncle Sam that I discovered real food.

Ok, we have Montreal Smoked Meat. The grocery stores here in Ontario try to pass off Corned Beef as Montreal Smoked Meat. It isn't. Montreal Steak Spice is ours too. I use it as my home spice. It has everything in it. Do they sell that where you are?

Believe it or not I was on a business trip a few years ago in southern England. I thought for sure I would loose 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I gained weight. The food was magnificent. Indian, Mediterranean, Asian, Argentinian, Brazilian, wow it was all good. I didn't even try the Fish N Chips. The Italian they have to work on, Buffalo wings too. I showed the cook in a Pub/B and B I stayed in how to make the proper wing sauce. I used to have to bring the steak spice down by the case for locals when we had a place in Florida. I had a "proper Sunday roast" dinner at the Pub with Yorkshire Pudding on the insistence of the manager, it was great.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I love Yorkshire pudding.

Carolina sauce is a vinegar based sauce usually with red pepper flakes. I cheat and start with some store bought regular, add the vinegar (about 50/50 mix) and the red pepper. Chopped or pulled pork, that sauce and a dollop of coleslaw on plain burger buns is heavan. And a beer....

I bit on Prime Day for the first time ever and we sourced on a couple things, one of which was a souse vide immersion cooker. Awesome on my first try.

K C strip, about 2" thick. A bit of cojita cheese crumbles .

v9r59bL.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I love Yorkshire pudding.

Carolina sauce is a vinegar based sauce usually with red pepper flakes. I cheat and start with some store bought regular, add the vinegar (about 50/50 mix) and the red pepper. Chopped or pulled pork, that sauce and a dollop of coleslaw on plain burger buns is heavan. And a beer....

I bit on Prime Day for the first time ever and we sourced on a couple things, one of which was a souse vide immersion cooker. Awesome on my first try.

K C strip, about 2" thick. A bit of cojita cheese crumbles .

Sous Vide :) Yes the wife now has 2 of them and they are great. We have done beef, pork, lobster and even made some cheese with ours so far. I bought a harbor freight weedburner to do my searing but at about 500,000 BTU's it's an outdoor toy! Check out Sous Vide Everything on youtube and there are facebook sous vide pages too. What a great kitchen accessory.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Yes it was a Quaso Blanco white cheese similar to cream cheese. The sous vide held it at a constant temp and it did not burn ;)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Thanks for the Carolina red sauce recipe, very good. With the help of You Tube made some the other day. I rubbed a portion of Pork Leg with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, EVO, with Montreal Steak Spice of course and smoked spicy paprika. Marinated in a deep dish that I filled with Coca Cola. Put her in the oven at 300 in the morning. Forgot about it and came home and realized it was still in there. 9 hours. Didn't have to pull it it came apart if you blew on it. Put 2 portions in a hot skillet and added the sauce. We had it on a steaming fresh Portuguese buns from the bakery in the city. Man it was good, still is. Had it on tortias yesterday.

Sous vide seems to be the rage in cooking today. There is always something new for cooking. Electric blenders, then food processers, pressure cookers, home sized smokers, gas BBQ's, and, and, and. Remember when Microwaves came down in price? They even sold some concoction to brown meat. The 1st nuker I saw was in my buddy's Pizza joint, $3000.00 around 1972

. Haven't tried sous vide, yet. No room on the countertops.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Home made Egg McMuffins.

We have my 94 yr young Uncle visiting from southern Illinois, Jersyville. He tells me it's hard to cook for 1 and I know it is. Showed him how to nuke an egg for egg McMuffins in a minute or less.
Many may know this trick but not everyone.

Rub the inside of a small bowl (3" or so bowl, Ramekin is what my wife just said it is) with butter, margarine or spray oil.Don't use Tupperware, not good to nuke in as the plastic breaks down over time.

Break and egg into it and whisk egg with a fork and a dash of salt and pepper.
I will add cut up pieces of ham whisked into the egg for Ham and Egg McMuffin.For sausage and egg McMuffin cook a sausage patty.

Can add some shaved cheddar or lay a slice of that fake yellow cheese.

Cover the thing with a piece of paper towel

Nuke for 50 to 60 seconds, depends on power of nuker.

Slide it off onto a toasted English muffin.
Eat it. The only thing to wash is the small bowl and a fork.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
four diff kinds, three hot sides on one cold. Left to right; all pork - country ribs in crock with bottled sauce (sweet) then the rest oven roasted; smoky sweet wet then sweet hot dry then one not shown I grew up on oven plain with caraway seeds on them. Need the full rack for those imo.

OFAR1Cj.jpg

Side were new potatoes in butter and parsley, mamma mac and cheese, cold potato salad (do not turn on that section and freeze the crock for an hour - works very well. Then I made a crap ton of pork fried rice that everyone loves.

KcQkOch.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
on the far right you see the Big Green Egg, about 15 minutes for all types to finish off and get a bit of smoke on them. Also note the perfect framing up of the Chiefs street sign.

7DgMc9q.jpg