cooking

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yes harringtondav a small shoulder from the grocery store will work. Depending on the size that's a lot of work and clean up for a few pounds of sausages. I never do anything less than 10 pounds of net meat. That may take up to a 15 pound shoulder depending how much bone and fat is on it. I have been getting them cubed by the butcher for a few cents more a pound, and insist they take out the glands and show me them if they are new guys I have never used. Once I tell them that they know we know what we are doing. I suggest you do the same, get them to do the cubing, they will even grind it and spice it for you, but that's no fun.

I can't give you a recipe because the spices have never been measured, it's all feel. It's also more complicated then salt and pepper. Some like it mild, some a bit hot and some hot. Dried Chile flakes achieve that. Some like Fennel seed like me and some hate it. I would never put Sage in anything, again that's just my taste. Always tastes like soap to me. The unique spin on our "Family" recipe is garlic and red wine. In a pouch of cheesecloth garlic cloves are tied. Then in a small pot of red wine brought to a simmer the garlic is put until soft. Once the seasoned meat is ready to be mixed on the table, usually 20 pounds at a time, the garlic in the sachet is squeezed over the meat before mixed by hand. A very important ingredient is your favorite beverage to be sipped while making your salseega. You can drink it all you wish while you enjoy your homemade fresh salseega.

They say the 2 things you never let anyone see is making love and making sausages.

harringtondav

Commander
Home made hot sauce.

I've been growing, canning and drying hot peppers for over 20 yrs. Consumption has fallen behind production. So using them up as hot sauce is a solution. Pour off and save the brine. Macerate the seeds and skins out with a ricer. Add back enough brine so it pours. Then you have hot sauce
IMG_20190201_204307427.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Home made hot sauce.

I've been growing, canning and drying hot peppers for over 20 yrs. Consumption has fallen behind production. So using them up as hot sauce is a solution. Pour off and save the brine. Macerate the seeds and skins out with a ricer. Add back enough brine so it pours. Then you have hot sauce

That looks good! I may try that!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've made not pickled Tabasco but not sauce may have to try it this year.

What peppers and what for the brine?

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Beef Chuck Roast - Easy and soooo tasty.,.

I haven't been following this thread for long and so don't know what has already been posted. But I have a very simple chuck roast recipe that knocks 'em dead whenever I do it. Five minutes of prep time, then about six or seven hours in a slow cooker, and gorge..!

Put a five pound (or so) beef chuck roast into a slow cooker. Spread two envelopes of dry ranch dressing mix over it, then two envelopes of McCormick brown gravy mix over that. Cut four or five pepperoncini peppers into quarters and drape them across the whole thing. Then put a stick of butter right in the center.

That's it. No liquid, nothing else. Turn the cooker on "low" and go to work. (Or whatever diversion will occupy you for about seven hours.) Amazing how the butter works with the ranch and gravy mixes, and the peppers add just enough spice bite.

Sometimes we double-deck it with two roasts, one over the other, each getting the same treatment. It never fails..!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Sounds easy, I would think the butter would be more than needed with the fat and juices . I almost never use our slowcooker.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joe, the butter isn't there to provide consistency - it's a huge flavor enhancer with the ranch and gravy mixes. They work together very well.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Boiled some up the other night, had some local made butt rub so....

IDy9s4B.jpg

Southkogs, next time you are passing by jump off at 110, map out spring street market, all the way back at the meat dept. Dirty South rub. Buy one of each, you will not be disappointed. I prefer Mama's Competition blend. Slap Your Mama is my next favorite. The wife went to school with him.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
And I'll just leave this right here for y'all to pork on.....

ZfTsLgL.jpg
​​​​​​

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I spatchcocked. For real. Right there in the kitchen.

His 'reloaded' episodes (watch it if you can) is a bit different on the cooking method and nothing under the skin. The big difference is he uses pizza pans above the bird, oven to 550 so you essentially have a brick oven. I moved my pizza steel and bricks (yes I keep bricks in my oven) above. Oh and cook skin side down for 10, then about another 30 skin side up. I also salted my skin and left to get to room temp then pat off moisture - he recommends 4 days uncovered in fridge or a fan blowing on skin for a couple hours. The best chicken i've ever eaten - even the breast was juicy.

[video]https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/a-bird-in-the-pan-0107346[/video]

Last edited:

Juliatom543

Banned
I do most all the cooking at our house and I got to be home alone last night so I made a dish that AC doesnt care much for shes not a clam person. Forgot how much I like it since I don't get to eat it often. Easy to make, takes about 20 minutes. Learned it years ago in the 90s from Tony Danza when he was on Regis and Cathy Lee show. Feeds two with maybe a snack for lunch. I just had my snack for lunch..

Angel hair or thin spaghetti
4-5 Roma tomatoes
Small can chopped clams
2-10 garlic cloves depending who you want to offend tomorrow
Bag of baby spinach
White wine, dry or I use vermouth
Good crusty bread

1. Chop garlic to your liking, I like a large mince
2. Saut garlic in equal amounts olive oil and butter with a pinch of salt
3. Chop up romas
4. As soon as the garlic starts browning, add tomatoes with more salt and pepper
5. Cook a few minutes until tomatoes start to show evidence of cooking
6. Add juice from the clams
7. Add a couple to a few handfuls of spinach
8. Cover and cook a few minutes
9. When spinach is cooked down, uncover and stir a few times reducing liquid a bit
10. Add clams
11. Add splash or four of wine / vermouth depending how much you want and how much liquid you want. I add about cup.
12. Cook uncovered a few minutes
13. Add a few pats of butter and remove from heat
14. Stir until butter is melted
15. By now you should have cooked the pasta. If you need instructions on how to do that, quit reading and order in Chinese or a pizza
16. Eat

wow

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and breakfast today. There are thin slices of eye of round in there - put in raw. I use my own stock.

fniSDGB.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
still here to help....

Wife woke up next morning and asked for more for breakfast. The dough was even better after a night in the fridge.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Just regular bricks

I always keep 4 foiled covered bricks in the oven to act a a heat sink so when you open the door and heat leaves, it comes back to temp much more quickly keeping the cooking levels more consistent.

A great pizza only needs a few minutes in an oven, but the oven should be greater than 700 degrees. Since the safeties on home ovens are set to 550 I've worked on this solution - actually came from watching Alton Browns spatchcocking technique.

It takes about an hour to fully preheat using this method. The top layer is on top rack, then two slots down is the steel (not stone but that would work). The top brick more effectively reflects the heat to the top of the pizza to get that bubbly form we all love. The bottom of course is doing its thing at the same time. My thin crust shown here take approx 4-5 minutes to be ready.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
2ByZhMx.jpg

Black mussels and small clams in buttery white wine garlic sauce (and tomato and spinach) over thin noodles. The plate has baked large green mussels with a parmesan cheese crumble.