cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
made my own lox the other day. Pool salt is food grade and cheap as hell for this kinda stuff. Going to try other meats so i know what I'm doing for the zombie apocalypse.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I dont particularly care for pumpkin even as pie, but I've had both pumpkin and squash soups that were great!

I cooked most of xmas dinner this year and made a great loaf of Potatoe Chive bread that was fantastic :)
In fact, I think I'll go get a slice now.

I'll note it in my GO! bag that Joe's place should be on the route west during the zombie apocalypse...

Keep on canning...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
you want the easiest bread to make ever?

I'm going to experiment on making the batch of dough (which stays good in fridge for a week) but pulling out smaller batches and cooking in a smaller vessel.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
nope, the recipe is flour water and a very small amount of yeast, like a quarter of a packet. Just need a day minimum ahead to make it. There is a 4 hour version out here but this one wins hands down. If you keep the dough iin the fridge for a few days you get even better flavor. I do the same with my pizza dough when my wife doesn't surprise me and change my dinner menu at the last minute.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm going to have a slice of homemade bread for lunch..

Love to make bread. Hands down best/favorite is a bastardized version of a long ago frequented bakery's stable: Onion Dill. Damn now I'm really hungry.

I do cheat and use a 2lb loaf bread machine.......

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i had a machine; ex wife has it now. This is way better. Try it. Oh and use parchment paper waaaaaay easier.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I resist, wife wants me to make some rustic dinner loaves, like your quick bread. Probably will, at some point, but w roasted garlic cloves.

Esp fond of the load it by 11p, timer start @330a and get up to a fresh hot loaf after 630a.

Cleanup isnt too bad either.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok got me on the first am bread smell to get you out of bed and have wiht softened butter with your coffee and maybe a slice of four of bacon....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, and if I dont pull the bread out at the end of its normal cooking cycle, machine keeps it warm for an hour :)

Its like having a fresh bread scented candle in every room :hungry:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I swear I gave myself Type 2 Diabetes when my wife won a bread maker at work one Christmas. I gained 30 pounds in 4 months. I could whack out a 1/2 a loaf with a 1/2 pound of butter and stuff like honey and maple syrup and Nutella after dinner. Be careful with the Pane fresca friends, be bery bery careful. It took me 2 years to lose it and now I can only look at white bread.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^ thats why I only make it occasionally, less then a 3rd of the times I think about making it...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
You guys are making me hungry!!!

your welcome.

This morning I cut up a chicken and put dark meat in buttermilk with secret spices. Skinned the breasts and back and cut into about 2x2 inch pieces. They will be the oil temp tester / tempering device and become chicharrones for pre-dinner snacks, plus a few chunks of breast. If you have never done that, start it today.

Then the wing tips, back and the parts you find inside the bird all go into a 300 degree oven in my skillet. When done you remove and get the luscious meat of the back and maybe nibble on the'tail'.

All the fat that has rendered and the crunchy bits stay. I pick more crunchy bits and meat off (eat the meat that was my lunch today). The new crunchy bits and the inside the bird parts then get very finely minced and thrown back in the skillet to await supper time. I now have lots of crunchy bits.

Throw all the picked over bones in a pot of water and hard boil for a couple hours. Cool, skim fat and put in with the saved crunchy bits. Remaining water goes back on a low simmer, uncovered to reduce the stock down.

Pan fry the (room temp) bird parts and skin when done place in 177 degree oven on a wire rack. Wine is consumed during this time. Weekends it's clear potato juice...

Strain / drain grease saving crunchy bits.

Make a rue with as much fat, grease and flour as you think you will need to make the appropriate amount of gravy. Cook a long time until deep brown.
***The beverages sometimes makes this a challenge as you have to constantly stir and watch.
Add reduced stock. As it thickens ad more stock that you have in your cabinet (we do home made but store bought works) or water until your gravy is right thickness. Low simmer for another 15 minutes- the flour will most likely hydrate and you will need to add more liquid.

Open the jar of green beans you put up last summer and nuke them (we can with the bacon fat in it).

Serve all and eat. It goes without saying you have already made your potato of choice.

I'll try to take some pics of the final product, but our friend in AZ with a grapefruit tree just sent us a box of fresh off the tree fruits so the clear potato juice will be mixed with them tonight - no promises made herein as to any follow up to be made.