Whos stupid?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I am! I am!

Great day on the lone Star yesterday. Let tthe mrs dive most of the day she grew up onthe lake but she also grew up the a typical southern girl and always rode in the passenger side in the bass boats so im teaching her how to navigat.

anyway started up kinda funny sounded kinda like a low battery but fired up an we hit the lake. Cruised about an hour stopping a few times to jump in. Went to lunch. Lots of comments on the Lone Star. Fired up after refuelling and again ran around fine stopping a few times. We love to explore the deep coves and see whats back there. Our last one of the day we got flagged down by a pontoon of old people. Turns out dude had same boat back in the early 70s he said same color and everything which tells me my close match was close enough.

Then after we get done chatting boat wont start. Nothing. Trim and bilge wok so good battery. They offer to tow the 2 or so miles in. After were underway i thoght what the hell and hit the key fired right up. Now when it ws dead i remembered back to my bayliner that one time had bad negative at ground. I did check that but didnt help.

So we untie and get home no issues after about 5 minutes of towing.

Then thinking back to my black max I once had an electircal thingie go bad under the hood but coul use pliers to jump and get going. Maybe the Rude has one? Popped the hood this morning and was looking around only to find this

20150906_095952_zpsdea0cda1.jpg.html

Apparently when swapping motor over forgot to tighten down....

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That "electrical thingy" that went bad on your max was probably the starter solenoid that you jumped......

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That "electrical thingy" that went bad on your max was probably the starter solenoid that you jumped......

yeah that. same thing that works on a trim system on a mercruiser I think. I've got a few left over in the garage.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No problem..... Stupid is is stupid does......I recently swapped out the starter on my 140 mercruiser. Hooked her to the muffs,fired right up. Took it to the lake, cranked slow did not start. Parked it for the night, and checked it in the morning. Starter battery cable loose as your ground wire......:facepalm:​

littlerayray

Lieutenant
We all do foolish things when we do them often enough like me forgetting to loosen the lug nuts on my tires before jacking the stupid thing up