Low Country Boil Help

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hi everyone. I have never ever made a low country boil and would like to do one. What does it take and how do I actually set things up to do one properly. I need everything spelled out. I have eaten a few but I would like to do one at home for the family. Any good ideas? :noidea: Thanks in advance...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When you add ingredients, it's longest cooking time first, the taters and then the rest until the shortest cooking time. I would cut the crab legs into a manageable size, adding them last or a little before the shrimp. Some of the other recipes have some variants. No - I didn't read all of them. LOL

You're gonna have some good eats, GM. :hungry:

robert graham

Admiral
After you finish boiling up all your link sausage(optional),corn, taters, onions, etc., remove/scoop them out of your liquid(shrimp boil), then add your shrimp for about 3 minutes or until they start to float to the surface....remove them, then you're ready to eat!....Real low country folks lay newspapers out on the table top and dump everything out there to be consumed.....but you can do it more like city-folks if you choose. Salt, pepper, butter, cocktail sauce(with plenty of horseradish seasoning)....cold beer and it's almost heaven!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Change up the seafood ingredients and it's called a crab boil or crawfish boil. I never used a plate when I'm suckin' heads or eating crabs. Comics are best, avoid the editorial pages.:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Aw man gm now ya went and made me hungry ! :hungry:
Yep like was said above tatters corn all that stuff first then your crabs and shrimp last .. Whatever seasoning you like .. We just use Old bay ..
Ya can't really mess it up other than cooking the tatters to long I guess .. Highly recommend some smoked sausage !
So when do we eat ! :D

southkogs

Staff member
... wow. All I need is a time, an address and the cost to pitch in ... :hungry:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hey sorry no help but im hungry now....

... wow. All I need is a time, an address and the cost to pitch in ... :hungry:

Yep both of these ^^^

Sounds like you've gotten some great help so far. Hope it goes great and everybody loves it enough to do it again :biggrin:

FYI: Been to a crayfish boil to, and if I had to fix one or the other, low country would win. Crayfish are a lotta work just to eat 'em. But darn tasty in both regular and cajun style
hungry.gif

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No self respecting Cajun is going to eat mud bugs off of a paper plate! You throw them on the table and everyone stands around and grabs.

southkogs

Staff member
... FYI: Been to a crawfish boil to, and if I had to fix one or the other, low country would win. Crawfish are a lotta work just to eat 'em. But darn tasty in both regular and cajun style
hungry.gif
... Please. Let's use proper terms, shall we? :boxing::rofl:

jbcurt00

Staff member
... Please. Let's use proper terms, shall we? :boxing::rofl:
Cray

Craw

Mudbug

^^^ all fairly small, tasty lil' bast@rds, whatever the heck ya call 'em

FYI, the Admiral wouldnt eat a mudbug to save her life, even if she wasnt allergic.

She might dine on some a them uppity, high falutin Crawfish though :biggrin:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
OKAY, thanks to everybody for the responses. Yes, I'm hungry for a boil myself and I guess I need to try one out for an experiment first. I just hope I don't mess it up, but then again with a little watchful eye and the proper times to put the items in, how can it go wrong... :noidea: So once I get the hang of it, I will be doing them along the way. Just never tried before... Wish me luck! :hungry: :bounce:

southkogs

Staff member
... mudbugs is new to me.
Me too. But the closer you get to Mississippi and Louisiana the more interesting the name of foods get ... ads to the fun of eatin' it.

FYI, the Admiral wouldnt eat a mudbug to save her life ...
Ditto - the kids and I will make it a point to hit real seafood when we're near a coast, but the admiral stays with land critters no matter what terrain she's on.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had a friend when I was working still that wouldn't even consider eating anything like shrimp, lobster or crabs and such. She swore that those things reminder her of roaches and would not even go to any place that served them. I offer the office/lab a Surf and Turf diner for my next promotion. She immediately removed herself from the group just thinking about such things... WOW she doesn't even know what she was missing... I easily could eat myself beyond movement with any of them... :cool: