Cleaning the chalklyness off a metal garage

jkust

Rear Admiral
Hi all, one of my garages is a 28 year old metal/pole building. Some of the exterior metal is chalky to the touch and faded to a lighter color than it is supposed to be. I figured this must be a common problem but I'm really not seeing any type of a chemical or process to bring back the color and finish.
Does anybody have any suggestions or experience with this issue? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
paint.

your painted surface has oxidized and is breaking down. TSP spray, followed by scotchbright scuff, followed by paint.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
google metal building painting. more information than you would ever need to know. I am surprised it lasted 28 years of weathering.

ask yourself a question, what would your car paint finish look like if you left it out in the sun for 28 years and didnt wax it ever

jkust

Rear Admiral
google metal building painting. more information than you would ever need to know. I am surprised it lasted 28 years of weathering.

ask yourself a question, what would your car paint finish look like if you left it out in the sun for 28 years and didnt wax it ever

Which is why every search lead ultimately to discussion of painting and not 'restoring' I suppose.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
repainting the metal is restoring the finish and its protective properties.