Out With Windows maybe Linux

alldodge

Staff member
Have several PC's all windows based of one form or another. Oldest is a 15 inch laptop which had XP (Dell 600m w/ 2GB ram) and I wiped and loaded Win 7 home premium. The previous version along with the current has the svchost piece of crud which uses up all the memory. Use to work great with XP but now its a turd. Only use it in the shop for iboats, OSO, email and the like. Don't play any games or stream video. So figure I going to get another and have thought about Linux and Scott mentioning it maybe that's the way to go.

Found the download site for https://www.kernel.org/ and latest stable version is 4.1.6. There are other sites which mention Ubuntu and others. Found two sites which have ready made laptops and desktops ZaReason and System76. So would it be best to get one preloaded or find computer (leaning again toward laptop) and cheap windows and reload?

Linux is compatible with Symantec. right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Linux is compatible with Symantec. right?
If you get Symantec for Linux it is.

BTW 2GB is not enough even to run XP reliably.

I would never have put Windows 7 on such an old computer. Doubt there are even drivers for Windows 7 available for such an old computer.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
2gb is not enough memory these days, no matter what you run. All of my machines are running at least 8gb and my main machines run 32gb of memory, even with Linux. 2gb is child's play

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ubuntu or Linux Mint are worth looking at. Linux also supports older hardware. Load up dual boot versions on the shop laptop, try them out. Both are free, so great to try. Mint is really looking like a good Windows replacement in my opinion.

After you try it, you may find the old lappy is still worth keeping around.

alldodge

Staff member
Might be the way to go just download and install straight on the old lap.

Agree win7 had nothing for a couple drivers I could install but didn't need them anyway. Like sound card

Sometimes you want to just start over, has anyone done what I'm wanting to do and if so, go new complete or get an updated PC wipe and load or dual boot?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Bought an iMac 6 years ago...never looked back.
New OS were only $29. Last two were free. Unless you really want to use your old hardware, maybe look into a Mac. No viruses, no problems...

GA_Boater

What I was saying about doing a Linux/Win dual boot was you can see what Linux can do for you and still have Win available if you want to post here. Also, you won't be happy if you buy a Linux box and you don't like it. You can find out if buying a Linux machine is for you without spending a penny.

I still say try a dual boot to see if you want to end up running a Linux version as your prime OS. Some peeps hate Linux as much as Win peeps hate Macs and vice versa.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i bought a new HP laptop in 2007 that came with vista. didn't take me long to dual boot it after realizing how horrible vista was. i ran ubuntu on it. now i have several different VMs set up on my machines so i can use whatever i feel like using but primarily i only use the linux OS's now for testing

NYBo

Admiral
2gb is not enough memory these days, no matter what you run. All of my machines are running at least 8gb and my main machines run 32gb of memory, even with Linux. 2gb is child's play

Not much use in a machine running 32-bit Windows. $ GB is the best you can do, and Windows can't see all of even that.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not much use in a machine running 32-bit Windows. $ GB is the best you can do, and Windows can't see all of even that.

I only run 64 bit machines and OS including my last machine running XP

alldodge

Staff member
My other laptop is 64bit and 6Gig and does very well. Appreciate the comments, thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Recon I need a bit more info guys. Downloaded the kernel and figure this is not all I need, or is it?
Found Ubuntu and Linux Mint sites but not sure which one to download from. I'm thinking of not doing a dual boot just wipe the laptop and load linux

GA_Boater

Don't down load the kernel, you will just be confused.

For linux mint - http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php Choose 32 or 64 bit to download an ISO image. Burn that to a CD, then boot on the CD and follow the instructions that pop up. Sounds much harder than it is.

Ubuntu - Do the same steps as Mint - http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

You can also use a USB stick instead of a CD. Both sites have step by step instructions.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks GA, I have rebuilt drives to many times to remember so well versed. Linux is new to me so the kernel was not looking right so I'm asking the question. Thanks again

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are many places to download the current ISO files for various forms of Linux, I run Ubuntu on my machines and it is pretty good.

By the way, is the machine you are wanting to do this with, 64bit capable?

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
you can also run the OS off the CD/DVD for testing without installing. try both or several to see which suits you best then install

alldodge

Staff member
By the way, is the machine you are wanting to do this with, 64bit capable?

No it's a 32 bit older machine.

No since in running it off a CDDVD because I refuse to use it as is, I would have to rebuild again and just not going to do it

NYBo

Admiral
I only run 64 bit machines and OS including my last machine running XP

Well, of course you do! You're a professional, after all. But many are running 32-bit (and probably have no idea what we're talking about).

For those who were confused by "$ GB" in the post of mine MT quoted, it was supposed to be "4 GB".:redface: