Boy, ugly crash at Pocono!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy Charley Kimbal just killed his primary car, bad crash, got loose and the car hit the wall and started flying into the catch fence, not something that has happened at Pocono for a long time now.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Another one during the race today. Justin Wilson appeared to struck in the head with debris from Sage Karam hitting the wall.

boatman37

Lieutenant
ouch. my son used to race with sage but not against him. my son was a couple years ahead of him and in an older class. i have talked to sage's dad jody a few times. good guy. never really talked to sage but passed him in the pits at nationals. same with newgargen. josef was a couple years older than my son so never raced against him but raced at some of the same events but have never met or talked to him

bassman284

Commander
Another one during the race today. Justin Wilson appeared to struck in the head with debris from Sage Karam hitting the wall.
Justin has been in a coma since the accident. IndyCar has scheduled a press conference for 9:00 pm EDT. Hoping for the best, but...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Justin has been in a coma since the accident. IndyCar has scheduled a press conference for 9:00 pm EDT. Hoping for the best, but...

Unfortunately, after watching Nascar America, things are not sounding very good.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
First Dan Wheldon in 2011 and now Justin Wilson, both from head trauma. It's time to close the cockpit. RIP.

82rude

Rear Admiral
First Dan Wheldon in 2011 and now Justin Wilson, both from head trauma. It's time to close the cockpit. RIP.

Closing the cockpit may bring up its own safety issues.Now is not the right. time to discuss it so that's all on that.rip Justin. I thought they were taking their time on Sunday getting him out and I feared for the worst from the get go .Man, sure wish I was wrong on that one guys.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You may be on to something, GA. I know a lot of racing boats have cockpits. With any kind of racing, tragedies like this are always a possibility. And at all levels...... It's a risk many are willing to take..... Sad for sure......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I did see an interview with his brother this morning and his brother in tears stated, today is a very bittersweet day, when asked about it, he said my brother died Monday and because of that loss, 6 people are alive and 6 families still have their loved ones, he was an organ donor in very good physical health, so in his death he saved a lot of people. Check that box on your license application, you never know who it may save.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a different take on this.

NASCAR is a dangerous sport, everyone that participates knows it and accepts it. Otherwise, they would not be there.

I feel sorry for the young man that perished, I really do. However, the old fools at NASCAR failed-AGAIN. Their attempt to make it safe is idiotic. It NEVER will be.

NASCAR does not REMOTELY represent street legal "Stock cars". Not even close.

Many people "scream for joy" when they see a hit, in the NFL, that could be life ending or at least, turning some poor sap into a vegetable.

THINK.

I would rather see REAL stock cars running around, maybe at slower speeds, that are ACTUALLY racing.

The trouble is, that NASCAR is so full of old fools that can't regulate fuel injection, or get out of the 70's. Look at them. Not hardly a one is under 45. Jeez, develop some new rules and let real "stockers" run.

Limit the wheel end HP (Dyno) and let them go. Verification, after race. Not that hard.

Last edited:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Realize, The NFL is about MONEY-entertainment second. Same goes for NASCAR.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We are not talking about NASCAR, this accident happened in Indy Cars when they were at Pocono.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Does it matter? Everyone cheers the crash and laments at the aftermath.

I don't cheer at the crash, I do find it sad that drivers continue to get killed, but it is part of the career they choose, but the open cockpit cars are more dangerous that the closed cockpit race cars.

Over the years I have lost to many friends of mine that raced in one for or another, I cringe when I see a crash.