Do you know how hard!!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is to get yourself looking good for a job interview where you are sitting in a campground on an edge of a lake after a few days?! I have been camping and fishing since last Saturday, after my little frustration moment the other day, and having a ball, Trout for breakfast and eggs, Trout and steak for dinner, I have loved it, this is what retirement is suppose to be about, right?

Well, Yesterday, I received a call from a company I applied to a few months ago, saying they wanted to talk with me to take over their networking dept. Good pay, would be fun to have, lots of extra money to play with the toys I like, so I cleaned up as best as I could and trucked back into town today, and low and behold, they called back this afternoon, and said we would like to make you an offer. I have to say it was a very generous offer! Take in mind I have already had a 30 year career in the Military and have just played at getting a job, but after spending about 20 minutes on the lake with the wife discussing, I decided to take the offer!

So needless to say, I will be working again, I have been retired since 2006, but I guess that is going to change and I am embarking on a new function in life, but I ain't going back until September 8th, so I still have a few days to go, eating eggs and trout and steak and trout!

But this last week, taught me something, I can actually use my cell phone to keep in touch with people! After reading through things for a few moments tonight, looks like things have been pretty calm around here.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You've been retired for 9 yrs and you're going back to work? Did you hit your head too hard? Why?????

Tnstratofam

Commander
Congratulations on the new job. Sounds like a little time at the lake was just what you needed, and the new job will be a good adventure.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good deal. MT. :thumb: Enjoy the rest off the time off! You gotta start setting the alarm again.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You've been retired for 9 yrs and you're going back to work? Did you hit your head too hard? Why?????

Wim,

When you spend a good amount of your time shooting at people and having them shooting at you, it does take it to a different level to feel like you are worth something! Also, I did spend a great amount of time fighting to stay in the Army after I was wounded and ended up in network security at the Pentagon, trying to keep the bad guys out of the computers, so this will fit in with what I have done, and besides, my wife is ready to kill me after having me home 24/7/365 for the last 9 years, so she deserves a break once in a while..

I can say with 100% conviction, retirement is not all it is cracked up to be, don't be so much in a hurry to get there.

:lol:

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Interesting. I'm getting kinda close, but don't think I'll ever have enough $ to retire - so I don't think I'll ever have to think about whether or not I would want to "unretire". Wishing you all the best on your venture.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
MT, I fully understand the retirement, I retired in Jan 2007, went to work part time 6 months later, quit for 6 months, then now i am working full time again, thinking it is time to retire permanently, But figure I will work another 5 years then pull the plug until I get bored again. You can only boat and fish so much until you run out of gas and bait money. :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Congrats MT . . . Networking as in I.T. stuff right?

I am curious as to what you did during your retirement to keep your skills current and marketable. You must have been thinking about going back to work for a while, given that you applied a while ago.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Congrats MT . . . Networking as in I.T. stuff right?

I am curious as to what you did during your retirement to keep your skills current and marketable. You must have been thinking about going back to work for a while, given that you applied a while ago.

Tpen,

I have been trying for over a year now, I put together a lab here in the house, that has 5 Cisco switches and 5 Cisco routers as well as 2 Dell rack servers, and bought a bunch of books and started reading and doing lab work until I could pass all of the required tests. I actually applied for this job about 9 months ago and have just kept following up with them to see what is going on.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy, that didn't work out right, I pushed the reply button once and the system posted my message 6 times? Talk about a database being messed up! Yikes!

EDIT - Cleaned those up, MT.

Last edited by a moderator:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Wow mt very impressive Goodluck on the new job is it a work from he job or do you have to go in the office also is it going to be prt time or full 40 and are the hrs flexible

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Wow mt very impressive Goodluck on the new job is it a work from he job or do you have to go in the office also is it going to be prt time or full 40 and are the hrs flexible

Right now it is a go to the office 40 hours a week for 2 months to train in doing it "their way", then I will be working part time in the office and part time from home, eventually working full time from home, what really thrilled me is I was competing against a bunch of people a whole lot younger than I and I still got the job. They told me the reason they picked me, was I was able to get the required certifications in a short amount of time and I had real world experience, which none of the other candidates had, so go figure, being older actually helped on this one!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Cool just hope your happy with it and not get frustrated when you wanna do something but can't cuz of work

Volphin

Lieutenant
That's awesome MT! I hope to retire? maybe? someday. LOL Yeah, I think there is a DB here that could use a little work. ;)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Cool just hope your happy with it and not get frustrated when you wanna do something but can't cuz of work

Well I receive a good retirement now, so I am not going back to work for the money, although money is good, it will give me a whole bunch to play with, but I am really going stir crazy trying to figure out things to do, I can only reorganize things so many times. I have spent a lot of time helping a friend with his RV shop and do a lot of computer consultation as well, so it is time to get back out there and put the nose to the grind stone for a while, it will be fun, and challenging, I am sure.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Don't know how old you are so not commenting to deeply about retirement,lol.Im 57 and have been retired for 3 years.Not rich by any stretch of the imagination ,but after 35 years in the steel industry working with everything from 400 ton molten metal cranes to 1200 degree 35 ton slabs of steel it was enough for me .The best part about retirement is the schedule ,everyday is a weekend !If I want a new toy I will go work for one of the contractors that service the steel mill a couple of days a week with no obligations to show up unless I want to .also the pay isn't too bad at 30 to 35 and hour.My biggest issue is ive had 3 knee replacements already so my ability to work is restricted a bit.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Rude, I spent almost 30 years in the military, was wounded in the first gulf war, so know what it is to be disabled, had to fight to stay in the Army to stay in so I could retire, after being wounded when I finally recovered I was assigned to Military cyber security and intelligence and was at the Pentagon, so this new job works real good for me because I have done it for quite awhile. so it will be fun, and like I said, the wife deserves a break from me, cause I am not an easy person to live with! :eek:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I haven't met a woman who has said it's easy living with a man yet other then my gf but we've only been seeing each other for about 10 months so

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Congrats on the new job!
I guess the biggest thing miss about having a regular 8-4 kind of job is the social aspect of it, the people I worked with were a tight knit group and the group did things together on a regular basis outside of work. And for this reason made the work day/ work place an enjoyable place to be..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MT congratulations IF that really is what YOU want. I have been retired now for about five years. And I can say with most certainty, I love being retired. No more meetings, no more updating clearances and no more high profile meets you HAVE to attend. I loved the work (designing) side of things, but not the meetings (worthless in my opinion) and junk like that. I also have had a few really great positions offered to me since retirement. But not needing the money, I turn them down. And that makes me think, with so many companies offering me great positions to work for them, why are folks complaining about finding jobs these days? :noidea: I Haven't put in any resumes anywhere and still get calls for positions and email offers too... But MT if you like what you will be doing, have a wonderful time. But don't stop commenting on these forums... :thumb: