Geeze, I really hate it, when..

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You tear the whole front end down on your truck and find out what you thought you needed to fix was not the problem at all, 2 darn days of work to find out the ball joints are not bad!

dwco5051

Commander
Don't feel too bad. I was almost ready to replace my left front half shaft on my pickup. Went to the parts store and they didn,t have it in stock. Went home and just for grins and giggles I rotated the tires and found my problem went from the front to the rear.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Here's one for ya in may I changed my u joints on my driveshaft the next day a Sunday I head out and snapped my aluminum driveshaft in two 80 dollars for the u joints down the tubes and 250 for a used driveshaft luckily I have 4x4 and limped home in with the 4x4 engaged

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Ray, there has been more times than once I have drove my truck home with only front where drive!

:eek:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Lol that's one of the main reasons I got 4x4 cuz they are hard to get stuck but when they do your really stuck

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not mine, I have a 12.5K winch on the front and a 8K winch on the back, I don't get stuck! (Knock on wood!) I have to have enough muscle to pull out the plow truck if it slides off, if you go back a couple of years, I posted pictures of my plow truck when I got it stuck! What a mess! Even in the spring I had to use both winches to pull that sucker out!

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Replaced u-joints in one of my trucks a few years ago.... Nope. The Transmission was shot. Went from a $24 problem to a $2,400 problem. Duh oh! :embarassed:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yeah well my driveshaft twisted itself apart I asked my mechanic if he ever heard of that and he said it's very rare and has never seen it

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MT, I and my son, just recently rebuilt the entire front end on my '98 Blazer. I just went to Rock Auto and bought every Moog lifetime front end part they had including all the bushings as well with polypropylene and then had it aligned and it drives like a new Blazer now. I figured with 165,000 miles it needed it. I was right too!

64osby

Admiral
Yeah well my driveshaft twisted itself apart I asked my mechanic if he ever heard of that and he said it's very rare and has never seen it

One of my brothers had a car with a 351 Cleveland. He twisted off 3 drive shafts in 6 months. Ended up totaling it shortly after. He is kind of rough on cars. He has totaled 7 so far.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
You tear the whole front end down on your truck and find out what you thought you needed to fix was not the problem at all, 2 darn days of work to find out the ball joints are not bad!

I knjow how you feel. Earlier this year truck was running wrong. Had a surge in power after a couple minutes driving, low on power, and after about 10min a loud scraping sound. Thought it was the turbo. Tore it apart, not the turbo. Finally after a few onths and replacing the same part twice i got it fixed. It was both the AC compressor and the AC clutch bearing. Together they were causing my problem.

Had to replace the AC compressor twice cause the new one had the pulley out of alignment causing me to tear belts apart after only about a hundred miles.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well at this point in time, I have the kit to completely rebuild the steering system, so I am going to just replace everything, it is tore down, I have all of the tie rods out of it, will go a head and put the new ball joints in it this week, then I don't have to worry about it!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Well I hope you get it straightened out lol. don't forget to get a wheel alignment

NHGuy

Captain
Exactly, if you have the bits just use them. Some suspension parts are hard to check off the vehicle. I had a state inspector tell me to do a bearing when I needed a tie rod. Lesson learned, check it yourself if you know how.
And if you don't know how watch some you tube videos for ideas.
Or come ask us, we are a bunch of know it alls. We know everything!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Oh, I know "how" to do it, but there is a big difference between "How" and "Want" to do it.

:facepalm:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yeah I know how to change the headlights on my truck but it was christmas eve and they were both burnt it was raining outside I went to canadian tire and told them to change em took em an hr to do