This brought tears to my eyes with fond memories!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
When I first got my drivers license, I remember going on a date, which was some fuel in the car, normally a pizza dinner and a movie and normally did not spend over $10 for the night.

Ya, I remember when I carried only my license and a $10 bill in my wallet to start a busy weekend. That was when gas was 28 cents an imperial gallon. Canada was basing it's dollar value on gold which put my dollar well above a US dollar in value. Now I'm back to only a few low value dollars with my license in my wallet, but now there's also an inch thickness of plastic cards to tilt my posture. Oh, and lately, my health card has become the top card in the pile. - Grandad

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ya, I remember when I carried only my license and a $10 bill in my wallet to start a busy weekend. That was when gas was 28 cents an imperial gallon. Canada was basing it's dollar value on gold which put my dollar well above a US dollar in value. Now I'm back to only a few low value dollars with my license in my wallet, but now there's also an inch thickness of plastic cards to tilt my posture. Oh, and lately, my health card has become the top card in the pile. - Grandad

When I got my lisc in 74, gas in Winnipeg was 40 to 50 an imperial gallon so it took 9 or 10 to fill her up with Texaco .I distinctly remember paying 68 dollars for my plates and insurance! That 64 chevelle with the mighty 230 cid engine and ever popular 2 speed powerglide tranny will always have a special place in my heart.Still remember cruising the main drag and watching the big muscle cars doing battle on the weekends.Now I sit on the front porch and watch the ebikes wiz by,lol.I no longer live in the peg but in Sault Ste marie Ontario, enjoying retirement after 35 years in the steel mill.Im 57 and hope I have a few years to relax and hunt and fish yet,i hope.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Fast food was a PB & J slapped together along with a glass of milk.

Out the door in five minutes, unless you tracked mud through the house on your way in.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Famous saying in our house "DON'T SLAM THE.....door" and "TAKE YOUR ......shoes off"

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
The original post brings back memories for even me because we are in the upper mid-west, not on the "Coasts". We still had all the things th OP stated including the B&W TV that signed off every night with the anthem and a prayer. I sometimes wonder what country we live in now, it is certainly different than the one I grew up in.

Grew up in Chicago, after the anthem their was a "test pattern" until the tv came back on in the morning. Born in '58, hardly a day goes by that I don't wish I was born earlier and was an adult back then. :rolleyes:

southkogs

Staff member
Hangin' head and shoulders over the back of the front seat of the car to talk with mom and dad up in the front ... or sittin' with my brother in the rear jump seats in the station wagon, making faces at the cars behind us ...

... and banana seats on your bike. Don't see that much anymore either.

dwco5051

Commander
When I first got my drivers license, I remember going on a date, which was some fuel in the car, normally a pizza dinner and a movie and normally did not spend over $10 for the night.

I first got my license in 1955 and my wife says that today I still try not to spend over ten dollars when we go out for an evening.