Reducing Wake w/ Sterndrive Boat

jfried

Seaman Apprentice
This spring I pulled the trigger on a new boat -- a Cobalt 226 with a 6.2 BIII combination. Obviously, this type of boat isn't generally what you think of when it comes to a ski-boat, but I wanted something that has the versatility to also handle some pretty rough chop.

The great thing about this boat -- it certainly has the power to rip me out of the water. The bad thing -- the wake is huge.

I was wondering if there's any tricks / things one can do to try and reduce the wake size. Would tabs help at all?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
tabs will help a bit, surprised your boat doesnt have a set of bennetts. you can also try to move more weight to the front such as the spotter and any coolers. this will transfer some more weight forward helping to level off the boat

to reduce the wake further, you would need to either go much faster (not the best for skiing), or change the shape of the hull

oldjeep

Admiral
Getting yourself another 25 feet of rope might help. You might be able to find a spot back further where the wake is more acceptable.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
back when I used to ski, I found a shorter rope better - too far back and you get in the curl or whatever its called. Also when I got really good I was able to go about 40 mph and that was a big difference.

oldjeep

Admiral
back when I used to ski, I found a shorter rope better - too far back and you get in the curl or whatever its called. Also when I got really good I was able to go about 40 mph and that was a big difference.

40?? Was there a speed record being attempted at the time?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I 2nd the longer rope. Even on a direct drive ski boat, I would barefoot with a 100 foot rope for similar reason.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Bummer to have to live with a compromise.

On any boat I've skied behind we reduce weight: run with as few crew as possible, > 1/4 tank of fuel, and remove extra gear.
Does running with your trim nearly all the way down make a difference?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
40?? Was there a speed record being attempted at the time?

no just young and really good and stupid probably. Many people told me I needed to compete but never did. The cuts on a slalom at that speed were freaking awesome (mid '70's - early 80's Obrien skis). We had a '74 (?) Sea Ray 19SRV with a 140 Johnson that would top out just under 50. Here is the only pic I have of the boat, dad talking to someone - note the pile of skis - we lived on lakes and I was always on one. we used to hit the water before work/school and again afterwards.

yellowsearay002.jpg

Still don't get the longer rope. At closer to the boat you have the one 'curl' and farther back it begins the second 'curl'. We always used 75' ropes and many times shortened them about 5-15' on the rear cleat. The below pic is off my previous 25' cruiser but it amplifies what I'm talking about - the farther back you go the more white wake you get?

DSCN0712.jpg

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
That one looks pretty ugly no matter where you tried to ski in it. The reason for trying to get back farther behind some I/O boats is the size of the hump/churn in the middle.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the churn in the middle never bothered me, cutting across it at about 50 mph you only hit it for a half a second if that.

And yeah that boat was a pic.