Whats the right length of rope for water sking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ski but am just your average water skier....is 75' the correct length? As for tubing is it 60' ?
Thanks

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Whats the right length of rope for water sking

No expert..but we use both. some people like the shorter rope so they can stay/use the boat wake to jump.

1970nds

Cadet

Your standard ski rope is 75". The better you get the shorter you will want your rope. You can buy a rope that has sections and remove a few feet to try it out. This way you can find the sweet spot to cross the wake.

As for the tube rope, I have only used 60'.

For wakeboarding I also use a 60' line. Much different rope than a tube or ski rope though.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

...The better you get the shorter you will want your rope.

Until you start loosing people in the propellors, then it gets a little messy. :laugh::whistle::bolt:

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Until you start loosing people in the propellors, then it gets a little messy. :laugh::whistle::bolt:

That would be considered too short!
:stupid:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
For years, in the 70's and 80's we used 100 ft ropes. We always had heavily loaded boats so the length seemed just right. It also worked well when we skied multiple skiers. No you cannot even find 100' ropes. I ordered a couple of them from an internet vender a few years ago.

AndyHUK

Cadet
The correct answer is....it depends on what your doing and behind what sort of boat ?

A standard length is 75 foot,
Behind a Correct Craft Nautique or Mastercraft 190 etc then that will be too long for the slalom as the boats wake is set at 36mph to be ideal, if your trick skiing then id shorten it down to 50 and the boat at 26 will give you a ride on a table top :)

So like i say, its boat and speed dependant and also dependant on what discipline your skiing

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
In my state, the longest ski rope you are allowed to use is 75 feet. Shortest for slalom skiing is 36 feet off at 36 MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.