Everyone is enjoying my new ski but me..... Still can't get up on it......

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Howdy,
Last year I posted questions about what was the best ski for a big fat old guy....

I was about 245 last year, and I got a 71" Radar P6 ski, and had a few attempts on it last year to get up on it, but never did.

This year, I am at 235, and still no luck. The worst part is, my buddies get up on it and love it!

I have not skied on a single for over 25years, and still working at it. I go out and try about six times, get frustrated, and I have the crew throw me two skis, and I get right up, and have fun.
I have watched every video on u-tube, read all the post here, but I just feel like a big anchor, and don't seem to get close to getting up. On Tuesday, had some friends come out, and one of the guys has not skied in over 20 years, throw him out there and on the third attempt, he go up and had a amazing run. I have been driving the boat, (21' CC with 260HP Alpha one), and it seems to have plenty of power. I have instructed the driver last year to just throw the throttle down, and it would yank the rope away, and this year we tried the smoother throttle, and still seem like I sit in the water and the rope gets yank away..... Now I am not sure if it's the driver or me!!!

Any ideas? Suggestions? Just driving me crazy that I can't use my new ski, and others are out there enjoying it.....

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Everyone is enjoying my new ski but me..... Still can't get up on it......

Have ya' tried going up on 2?

oldjeep

Admiral

If the rope is getting yanked away (assuming that you have no slack) then you are plowing water with your body or the ski. Make sure the ski is only 1/3 out of the water and not pointing straight up.

Whe you say they throw you 2 skis, why not just put on one of your combos to get up then drop it and ski on the P6?

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies,
Yes, I can get up on two, no problem. I just get up on a pair of HO combos that I have on the boat, which are 68"

Never tried to put the P6 on one foot and drop the other, not sure how I can kick off the combo ski with it's binding......

oldjeep

Admiral

Thanks for the replies,
Yes, I can get up on two, no problem. I just get up on a pair of HO combos that I have on the boat, which are 68"

Never tried to put the P6 on one foot and drop the other, not sure how I can kick off the combo ski with it's binding......

To kick it off just start lifting your heel. If you have the helix sandal bindings then just make sure that you leave it pretty loose.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Agree 100% on starting with one of the combos as a drop ski so you can at least start enjoying the ski.

Gloves for the skier! = increase grip strength x3. (less tiring on multiple attempts)
Wearing wide cut swim trunks? = tape down the legs or switch to a shorty wetsuit to avoid ballooning and "sea anchor" effect of water filling the legs. Seriously. do it.
Agree, with ski tip clearly out of water and angled toward the boat.
Remember this is not a wrestling match. You are trying to minimize drag behind the boat as you are pulled through the water fast enough to start planing the ski.

Starting with one foot in?
Arms straight and front knee to chest with rear leg trailing straight back. Hold that position, hold that position, hold that position... count to 5, 6, probably longer than you think it will take until the ski is planing and will support your weight. Wait wait wait to put your back foot in the rear binding until you have gone for hundreds and hundreds of feet. No hurry.

Both feet in?
Right foot forward? flop ski over to the right like it is pointing to 2:00. Yep 45 degrees to the right. it will straighten out. LFF? same but point ski to left. If you have it the EZ up slalom rope will help too.
Arms straight. front knee to chest and be in as streamlined a ball as you can be until the ski is planing. Stand up slow. like after 200 ft. maybe 400. no rush.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree 100% with the advice from everyone. Something else to try is arms straight, knee(s) bent at take off. There is a natural tendency to push your front foot forward to resist the drag pressure. This causes the ski to plow instead of plane and you will either get pulled over the top of the ski or have the rope ripped out of your hands.

Instead of pushing your front foot forward, follow all of Skibrain's advice while paying particular attention to how he describes the static starting position. When you begin to feel the drag pressure building, progressively flex your front knee up to and towards your chest until the ski is on top of the water. Then progressively extend into an upright active skiing position.

Good luck!

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tried to ski on Monday, really didn't improve. I did throw the P6 on with my combo, and got to at least play with two skis attached to my foot. Will go out again on Thursday, and will try again. When I tried with a foot dragging, it seem strange. I think I need to get my knee closer to my chest, and maybe I am trying to stand to quick. I get right up on two skis, so not sure what the deal is. I will also work with the driver, and make sure he starts slow, then gives the power.

Another person got up on my ski, while I was the driver....... so at least the ski is getting used!
I did get a nice run on the P6...... I just wish I can get up on the single ski soon..............

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always tell people to try to keep the ski and 45 degree angle when starting, and try to keep it that way until you get out of the water. This way you ride the ski out of the water instead of accidentally plowing the ski in the water. If you're having trouble keeping your ski straight a trainer rope that goes on both sides of the ski can help out a great deal as well. You're almost 100% doomed from the start if you're ski isn't straight to the boat when you start. The other thing I would offer is to look towards the sky when you start - not at the boat. Your body will go where your eyes are looking. If you look at the back of the boat you will be more likely to plow the water because your body gets out of position. Look up towards the sky (the same 45 degree angle as your ski), keep your shoulders back, ride the ski out of the water, and don't totally stand up until you're totally out of the water.

oldjeep

Admiral

Did you try dropping the combo? I wouldn't worry too much about the deep water starts for now, just go up on 2 and slip one off. 2 of the guys I ski the course with actually come up on 2 (one because of age and one who is just learning). There is no shame in dropping and it sure takes a lot of the work out of it.

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

A quick update........ Still frustrated........

I have tried to get up the last few times on the P6, and after 10 tries, I have the crew throw me another ski.... and up I go on two and have fun. I have tried different things, even tried to drop a ski, but could not kick off one of my combo skis.... binding does not get loose enough........

I will try again next week, but it feels like when the boat starts to go, I sink down low and drag my face and butt into the water. I hang on, thinking I will get on plane, and then let go of the rope. I will try to point the ski more at a 45 next time. I might even try to do the one foot thing, which I think I did many years ago. I have tried a few time recently, but seems to be a odd balance to me. The p6 ski does get stuck in the "V" of the rope and causes others issues. Thinking of getting a two handle rope?
I keep trying, but I have to admit, I am getting pretty frustrated. We have a month of skiing left around here, so I keep trying, and wear a wetsuit if needed........

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to hear your frustration.

Take one of combo skis and remove the heel cup on the binding. It will stay on good enough with just toe piece to use as a drop ski.

haulnazz15

Captain

Don't bother with a 2-handled rope (if you can even find one anymore). The rope isn't your problem.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Keep at it Fiat, tips above are solid, including dropping a ski to get going and save calories and spine. I was in the identical position two years ago, a Clydesdale that had not skied in 30 years. It was the P6, strong towboat, patient driver, and stubborn pursuit that finally worked. In my younger, svelte days, a one-footed start was reliable, but doing a one legged squat does not seem to work for me now. So the two footed, 45 degree ski start, 8+ second endless crouch, and bending the knees to tuck the ski under the butt technique is now the default method. Bonus is swallowing a ton of lakewater, but it's clean living. Carry on.

Have you lightened the load in the boat to driver, spotter seated in the bow, with say half a tank of gas or less? Really, everything helps when you are trolling with a Clyde.

Last edited:

amosh

Seaman Apprentice

what is your head position as you try to get up? it sounds to me that you are ducking your head to avoid the spray. watch the tip of your ski until you feel yourself planing out. then stand up strait and transfer your stare to the back of the boat. wear goggles if you need but watch your tip. if you duck or throw your head back it will sink you or give a ton of resistance respectively. good luck and remember its supposed to be fun

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, technically ducking his head would likely bring his weight forward, which is what you want anyway.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

In my younger days, we used to ski from the swim raft. both feet in the ski, about 20' of slack, and just before the rope goes tight, hop up.

In my current age and mass I would go with dropping the ski.

If your wearing board shorts, get a wet suit. the board shorts act like a parachute.

Another thought, if your skiing behind an I/O. drop the pitch of the prop by 2" and get the spotter up front. you need the boat to get on plane as fast as you do. I kept two props on board both my Avanti and SeaRay. one for cruising, one for skiing.

amosh

Seaman Apprentice

ducking takes you too far forward and sinks the tip of the ski to the point to where you lose control. and if you are ducking, you are probably turning your head as well which throws off balance. where the head goes the body follows. i have had similar issues when i was learning. head strait and looking at the tip, knees bent to chest, and if two feet in lift the back heel just a bit and the ski will plane out fast for him. and then his weight isnt too far foward to where he falls over the front. just give it a shot and see if it works

haulnazz15

Captain

I can't say as though I've ever seen anyone have their weight too far forward when doing a two-foot-in deep water slalom start. I do agree that where the head goes, the body will typically follow. However, if my knees are tucked to my chest while I point the ski as flat as possible to the water, I don't care if I can get my forehead to touch my front knee, I won't be going OTF. Now, once you are on plane and trying to stand up, sure, keep your weight back.

amosh

Seaman Apprentice

that i would like to see. do m a favor next time you are out. get in your balled up starting position and comfortable. then bury your chin into your chest and hold it there for a few seconds and see what happens. id put money on the tip of your ski going under water. im not saying my suggestion is going to fix his problem because it is easy to armchair quarterback and to really know what is going wrong its better to see it. its just there were plenty of good ideas thrown out and none seemed to fix the issue. its just another suggestion that has helped everyone i have taught to ski and all that anyone i know that has taught anyone. its just a suggestion and hopefully he will try it and see if it helps