Engine size Glastron Sportsman V171.

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the process of repairing a 17ft Glastron Sportsman circa 1965 (usual floor/stringers/transom) and was curious as to the engine size required? I may be wrong but max seems to be 110hp but I have a 1985 Yamaha 85hp on my other boat (Fletcher 14ft) that really flies but wondered if it had the grunt to get a skier out behind the Glastron given the extra size & weight?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine size Glastron Sportsman V171.

Depends upon the skier--their weight and ability and slalom or dual skis. 85 will be a bit of a struggle for a slalom deepwater start. power to the max if you can find an engine at a price you want.

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Engine size Glastron Sportsman V171.

Thanks for that. Mainly going to be used towing toys/fishing so other than me (16 stone on a good day) who can't do a deepwater slalom start & my wife who's 9 stone & just learning to waterski it might just manage! I've never seen one of these hulls in action & wondered what they were like to push onto the plane? I realise there are lots of variables with weight etc but it is a lovely retro looking boat & given the amount of work involved in restoration don't want to chop & change engines/remotes . Obviously doing it on a budget but as it will only get used for a couple of holidays a year don't want to invest thousands into a new engine that will sit idle for 49 weeks of the year!

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
Been a while since I've been on here! Fitted a 115 hp Mariner inline 4 cylinder 2 stroke initially. Went ok until my local Marine shop blew the engine up when it went in for a service and they fiddled with the timing.......Cost £480 for a box of bits and my boat back minus engine (piston clipped a port !!).

Got chance of an early 90's Mariner V6 135 hp. Heavy lump but what a motor. Great hole shot, tows two skiers and over 55 mph + top end. A superb hull although it's around 50 years old. Just need to sort the windscreen out for the original look to complete the basics !