Is there any Difference Between Wakeboarding Ropes and Water Skiing Ropes?

boating1804

Recruit
Hi,

I have a water skiing rope and want to start wakeboarding. Do i have to buy a rope specifically made for wakeboarding or can i use the water skiing rope?

Thanks

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is there any Difference Between Wakeboarding Ropes and Water Skiing Ropes?

You can use it just fine. When you get really good you will want a wider handle to its easier to grab behind your back as you do a twisting flip movement, but your a couple of outings away from that, right?

oldjeep

Admiral

We have always used a ski rope for wakeboarding. I do plan on picking up a wakeboard specific rope this year, my son wants a handle with a chunkier grip - I prefer smooth.

haulnazz15

Captain

Yes, there is a difference, mainly in the elesticity of the ropes. That being said, unless you are looking to get serious with either sport, one rope will do fine. I always suggest the multi-section slolam ski ropes so that it makes it quick and easy to shorten the length for wakeboarding.

oldjeep

Admiral

Yes, there is a difference, mainly in the elesticity of the ropes.

I keep hearing people say that and I don't get it. A comp ski rope does not stretch. If you get a $30 generic ski rope from Sports Authority, maybe those stretch - but a good one doesn't.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Agree with above. You can use a ski line just fine.

Here is a bit more rope info. from waterski.about.com website:
Choosing the correct wakeboard rope can help you advance in your skills behind the boat. Unlike water-skiers, wakeboarders need a rope with minimum or no stretch to perform tricks. Consider these points before purchasing a wakeboard rope.

Rope Material

Wakeboard ropes are made out of two different materials.
1) Low stretch: Usually made of polyethylene, these ropes will stretch around one percent under normal loads.

2) No stretch: Made of spectra material, these ropes are very strong and stretch less than half a percent under load. Professionals pretty much always use Spectra, but most all wakeboarders will appreciate the predictable feel of a rope that doesn?t stretch.

Wakeboard Lines

Rope Length
Most wakeboarding ropes are between 60 to 70 feet long. Rope length is a matter of personal preference, but those just starting out may prefer a shorter rope length because the wake is narrower closer to the boat. The better ropes have adjustment loops that allow for quick adjustment to accommodate any skill level.
Handles

Handles have evolved to accommodate the demands of wakeboarders. Newer handles are made with a new priority, ergonomics! The grips are now more comfortable due to enhanced materials. Wakeboarding handles are 13-15 inches wide, which is wider than the 11-12 inch wide water ski handles. Wider handles make it easier to perform tricks that require the boarder to pass the handle behind the back. To make spin or wrap tricks easier, some ropes feature a second grip attached to the rope near the rider.

(I also agree there is also a huge difference between cheap ski ropes (really stretchy) and quality ones, which are much stronger and intended to have some stretch but that's another topic)

haulnazz15

Captain

Agree with above. You can use a ski line just fine.

(I also agree there is also a huge difference between cheap ski ropes (really stretchy) and quality ones, which are much stronger and intended to have some stretch but that's another topic)

^ This is what I was referring to. It's not about the ski rope being a bungee cord, but some of the comp ropes do have a dit of give in them. Generally most wakeboard ropes do not have that elesticity. Either way, a beginner/novice isn't likely to tell the difference.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the wider handle actually helped in my hand position when getting up, hard to explain but i noticed the difference

BigBoatinOkie

^ This is what I was referring to. It's not about the ski rope being a bungee cord, but some of the comp ropes do have a dit of give in them. Generally most wakeboard ropes do not have that elesticity. Either way, a beginner/novice isn't likely to tell the difference.

They probably just look more elastic because of the extreme amount of tension that occurs during a slalom cut. When we slalom, a pretty hard cut is enough tension to lug my V8 a little. That's quite a bit of force. Just buy a rope with a grip that is comfortable to you. :)

Rope length is a matter of personal preference, but those just starting out may prefer a shorter rope length because the wake is narrower closer to the boat.

Narrower but much bigger wake. I would think you wouldn't want to contend with bigger wakes while you're trying to get the hang of it. I'd stay back a ways if it were me.

sethjon

Thats a big no.