I Feel Old School or Just Old.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Im 42yr and I love to Salome Ski. No Desire to Wake Board. My kids call me old because of this. Does wake Boarding make you all that cool.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I Feel Old School or Just Old.

People are going to be motivated by what their friends think is cool. My friends slalom and barefoot. We have all tried wakeboarding but not so hot on it. Our kids are also into water skiing more than the wakeboard, but then they are also into alpine (snow) ski racing and not snowboarding.

There is room for everyone. Enjoy what you enjoy and get out there to do it even more.

191015595.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

LOL, I want one of those shirts.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

People are going to be motivated by what their friends think is cool. My friends slalom and barefoot. We have all tried wakeboarding but not so hot on it. Our kids are also into water skiing more than the wakeboard, but then they are also into alpine (snow) ski racing and not snowboarding.

There is room for everyone. Enjoy what you enjoy and get out there to do it even more.

191015595.jpg

Love the shirt.

SeanT

Are there any three hundred pound slalom skiiers?

I wakeboard, and it wasn't easy for me to learn. Now I get up like it's nothing though and I'm thinking of giving two skis a try.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess it has to do with where and when you started. When I started the word wakeboard wasn't in the English yet. So even though we own a long board, no one in my family including my wakeboard age kids ever use the board although we all can pull a few tricks on one.

BigBoatinOkie

I'm 27 and I'm a skier. Mostly because all the wakeboarding punks around here just **** me off with their inconsiderate behavior, so I don't want to be associated with that crowd. It's the same thing with snowboarders too. It's like you have to be an inconsiderate butt hole to ride a board. Besides, rockin along at 35 on a ski is more fun than farting around at 20 making the biggest freakin wake possible and pissing everybody elso off. Pardon the rant, maybe I have some wake/snowboarder rage issues. :D

skibrain

....by the time the wakeboarders roll out of bed we're long gone. :)

I turn 50 this fall. 35 days behind the boat so far this season. Taking a day off tomorrow to let the body heal up just a tad and then back at it on Sat.

Any one else have photos? post 'em up!

103738721.jpg

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....by the time the wakeboarders roll out of bed we're long gone. :)

I turn 50 this fall. 35 days behind the boat so far this season. Taking a day off tomorrow to let the body heal up just a tad and then back at it on Sat.

Any one else have photos? post 'em up!

103738721.jpg
Nice wall you got there Skibrain!

AZBoatDreamer,

I think anytime you get up and get out, you are cool.Wakeboarding make you cool ? nah...To be sure, it is fun , but I would rather ski.

All my friends thought I would be the opposite, because I have been snowboarding for 25 years. Wait, did I just type that??? Yupp-25 years, and I am pushin 40. Downhill crossover from two planks and skating , and BMX too!. So I thought I would Love wakeboarding, but really it does not turn my crank, I still think cuttin a wall ,like Skibrain above, is cool.

Guess maybe thats why I still ride an alpine snowboard? You want to talk old school (and potentially un-cool:D:eek:)? How about Schmitt Stix, Powell Peralta, and Skurfers and Snurfers??:D

T

BigBoatinOkie

Awesome photo dude! I'm actually really new to all of it, and I'm not good at any of it yet. Just got my first boat last summer, so I really don't have the right to knock any watersport, but I have skied alpine for many years and the snowboard dudes generally are a major pain in the butt and the wakeboarding scene seems to be the same attitude. I usually do more kneeboarding than anything, but I definately dig glass, so we try to get out there early, and we always stay late after everybody else is done for the day. Funny thing is, I pretty much do the same thing on a kneeboard as yall do on a slalom ski, hard cuts and big roostertail, just slicin the glass. I just recently started slalom skiing and so far it rocks, very tiring though for a big guy. I'm not really comfortable with my turns yet, but practice will take care of that.
So...is slalom skiing oldschool? Maybe.....Badass? Definately :D

Pardon the language, but I felt it was appropriate in this case.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a mixed bag with us. I think my kids initially liked skiing better because I knew a lot more about it so was able to teach them better. Now they've been wakeboarding for a few weeks and some of them like that better and some like waterskiing better. I haven't tried wakeboarding at all yet (I'm 48) but after watching a few guys riding it more like a slalom... slicing and spraying... I may give it a try. My knees are starting to have some problems and getting up on slalom the way I've been trying to do it is putting a bit too much strain on them. Thing about it is that it really doesn't take much more time when we are out to switch back and forth between them. I can usually retrieve the ski rope and skis and deploy the wakeboard rope by the time the person jumps in and gets the wakeboard on their feet. Its not a big deal to go back and forth.

BigBoatinOkie

That's just awesome man! Looks like absolutely perfect glass. You're killing me by the way. I can't hit the water for another week.:( Are you sure you're 50? You might want to double check your birth certificate.:D

WildH2Oskier

Seaman Apprentice

I slalom, barefoot and used to jump a little. At 46 all that is slowly dissipating into the wake behind me. I tried Wakeboarding when they first came out. I can ride one but I'm not motivated to ride'em much. I just can't get comfortable standing sideways on the water. To each his own though but I hate seeing the manufacturers putting so much emphasis on wakeboard boats with towers and V drives while slowly leaving the straight inboard market. But money drives the market I guess.

jaycozer

Seaman Apprentice

Good turns! Good fun! Good recreation!

I do enjoy hopping off the wake a bit and successfully landing. Also the clearing the wake is a bit of fun. I'm not a trick guy, just some basic stuff on the wakeboard.

But...I do find pushing the edge like these guys on slalom is the good stuff! As a 6'2" 220 guy I feel obligated to make the back end of the boat feel off track while pulling hard across the wake. I usually know when I've wussed out on turns and look forward to getting back in giving it another go. Of course, I don't mind the rest before my next turn cause sometimes your spot in the rotation comes up when it's glass like these guys got going. Great skiing!

skibrain

We started making our own shirts a few years back.

112685187.jpg

Is it just our crew that brings a camera along once in a while?

182070836.jpg

182070817.jpg

Quick barefoot run at 22' off (forgot to go back to long line, oh well..) Not much wake behind a Malibu direct drive at 40 mph.

74447157.jpg

BigBoatinOkie

once again, cool pics dude. I'll get some pics this weekend of me showing you how not to slalom. :D Prepare your self for some terrible technique. :D