I Feel Old School or Just Old.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I Feel Old School or Just Old.

@Edge180
Err excuse me, but I'm 65 still do deep water starts on my old Jobe Eliminator,(if you were my son I'd take your lates toy away until you promised to behave) must admit though, that I no longer run bouys (none here in the Med). I was in Turkey a few weeks back and tried Wakeboarding behind a Skinautique, got up first time, easy after a mono. I don't see what all the fuss is about, it is just like snowboards, they won't catch on!!

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

have really enjoyed the pictures and comments, they bring back memories .... I'm pushing 66 and haven't been on skis in longer than I care to think about .... I still enjoy driving for those who do

Jim

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

Any of you "older" guys remember an old gentleman called 'Banana George' Blair? He used to travel with the professional waterski tour back in the '70s and '80s. I met him a couple of times at tournaments; total class of a gentleman. He was still barefooting in 2011 at the age of 85. In fact he attempted it again at age 93:

http://growingbolder.com/media/sports/extreme/banana-battles-back-137386.html

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes George Blair. I was looking at buying a boat of his third hand from a guy here in MN a few years back. SkiPro Extreme 400 hp VP stern drive w/ twin barefoot booms. Great deal but I decided I didn't need a 70 mph ski/footing boat.

It was yellow. :)

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, come on skibrain, only 70 mph. I also remember a guy (sorry I don't recall his name) that barefooted behind a dragboat. Talk about high speed barefooting...!

Sorry about my typo in the previous post I made. Obviously Banana George was 93 in 2011 when he made the attempt in the link in that post.

Here he is when he was 85, still entertaining at tournaments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JankgaPZp9w

skibrain

My inspiration when growing up was an old guy who lived on the lake named Sam. He had been waterskiing since early 50s, and was an outstanding slalom and tricker, and barefooted at least once a week. I skied with him on and off until he died in his 70s. Footing until the end. I'd like to be like Sam.

184855616.jpg

79Merc80

Back in the mid 80's, I got a little board kneeling on a hydroslide. When I was growing up, we had a "Crazyboard" that was a peice of marine plywood that we stood up and rode. Well, I started to ride the hydroslide standing up. About a year later the wakeboards started to show up. I have a video of my riding it. I wish I knew how to capture a still from that VHS video.

Biggest challange to riding the hydroslide standing up was the only thing keeping me on the board was gravity, any chop and I would come off the board.

Craig

blmeanie

Cadet

I wish I knew how to capture a still from that VHS video.

Craig

have the vhs converted to digital, it is losing quality every day it sits around, even if you think you are being good to it in a closet or wherever. From the digital movie, stills are easy to capture.

bikerdib

Seaman Apprentice

You want to get a little of that "unconnected feeling" again, try what I'm trying to learn; wakeskating. Then after you've tried it a while watch a video or two of guys that are good at it. It's really humbling.

Back in the mid 80's, I got a little board kneeling on a hydroslide. When I was growing up, we had a "Crazyboard" that was a peice of marine plywood that we stood up and rode. Well, I started to ride the hydroslide standing up. About a year later the wakeboards started to show up. I have a video of my riding it. I wish I knew how to capture a still from that VHS video.

Biggest challange to riding the hydroslide standing up was the only thing keeping me on the board was gravity, any chop and I would come off the board.

Craig

aspeck

Staff member

Used to be a hard core slalom skier, but got tired of dislocating my shoulder on right hand turns (football injury that I hid from coaches and doc ... not a smart move). Gave it up, had shoulder surgery, got older and gained way to much weight ... Still have my old Connelly ski with the double hot foot bindings ... A real bear to deep water start with, but fun once up! Oh to have the strength to go back there ... Maybe if I lose 80 pounds I could do it again....

jclem

Cadet

Absolutely not! I'm 48 and after 20 years away from boating (more importantly skiing) we have a boat, I'm slaloming again, and teaching my kids to ski! Not cutting as hard as before but smiling just as big. No desire to wake board, but I have nothing against those that do. :D