I Feel Old School or Just Old.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I Feel Old School or Just Old.

Yeah, I have the deep water starts down with the Big Daddy, but I broke the front binding already.:( The ski is great, but to be honest, the standard binding is cheap junk, but at least it has a warranty. We had to go back to the ol' combos and dropping a ski for the rest of the weekend. I'm still a little chicken to really lean hard on the turn toward the wake, but I'm definately getting more confident all the time. Hopefully before the end of the season I'll be posting up some nice hard turns. My boat kicks up a pretty big wake, so I'm afraid I'll be eatin water if I try to cross too fast.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

well the pics look cool and for the board v ski thing, couldnt tell you either way. just got my first boat and by next spring i will have it on the water, i am 40 and never skiied or boarded so i will have a clean slate to judge which is better for me, so which ever one floats your boat is the one for you. cant wait to get out there and try though. 40 isnt to old to learn is it?

Adirondack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the pics look cool and for the board v ski thing, couldnt tell you either way. just got my first boat and by next spring i will have it on the water, i am 40 and never skiied or boarded so i will have a clean slate to judge which is better for me, so which ever one floats your boat is the one for you. cant wait to get out there and try though. 40 isnt to old to learn is it?

Never too old to learn. Easier on you if you have someone with you that knows at the controles. Drop any aprehension, or fears and you'll be skimming across the water in no time.

Bonvivant

Cadet

By nature, people love to divide and label. I agree with the few above... about doing it for you, and no one else. I would go even further to say, you get a lot of respect from me..and I'm sure many others, when you have a few years on you, and you're still challenging yourself with new things. I looked at wakesurfing the first time and thought it didn't interest me at all. It didn't look as fun as wake boarding or skiing. Even though I still think this, I really want to try it. I want to see if I can do it! I don't give a rats if anyone else is into it or they have to drive my boat while I wreck 100 times. It's all about the challenge...that's living. I'd drive for you bro, and I got a wake board that would fit you :)

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bryant Lake looks like it is still a great place to water ski. Nice pics! I have officially switched to alpine and finally hit the slopes this past weekend. Conditions were great.

Wakeboarding is not that cool ......mebbe its a fad....

I don't think wakeboarding is just a fad since it is easier on the body, easier to learn and don't really need the perfect flat water. I have tried it, but will stick to slalom as long as I can. And as I am nearly 49, I am thinking I need a second boat - a tournament ski boat. I won't ski behind anyone's i/o including my own.

Now there is a different trend for snowboarding. It looks like it may have peaked and more people are returning to alpine skiing. There was a comment earlier about the inconsiderate snowboarders.

I see a lot of that as a weekend ski instructor, and totally understand the disdain. I think it is not so much the equipment, but more reflective of the median age of a snowboarder. The stance and sight lines of skier vs. snowboarder are different too, which makes the situation rip for collisions. And that said, I am not shy about providing a "learning opportunity" for a young snowboarder who goes ripping though my class of 8 year olds.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I waterski, once a year..... Just to show the young'uns how it's done. I have to say, they are amazed.:D

Even though I'm in good shape, it WIPES me out. That activity uses muscles that NO gym can duplicate. :rolleyes:

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm 51 and can still ski or wakeboard, but I really prefer my Airchair. It doesn't tire me out like the other things, and it is alot of fun to cut throught the water on a hydrofoil.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well its going to be time again soon to be that old 43yr old dude watering sking around the wake boarders.

Looking forward to hitting the salom ski again.

skibrain

We got out March 24 this year - beating our previous early season PR by weeks!
Ice had only been off for 6 days but it was 72 degrees air temp.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Being in Minnesota you must have a wet or dry suit for being out already. Maybe you just have big Marbles to take the cold water.

skibrain

Dry suits. Enough gear that the air and water temp isn't too big an issue. Ice on the lake does not work, however.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dry suits. Enough gear that the air and water temp isn't too big an issue. Ice on the lake does not work, however.

about what time of the year do you loose the Dry suits?

skibrain

The date is so variable, but when water gets warmer than about 60 degrees.
Then straight to the shorty wetsuit.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nervous about sking again this Year. Its been since last OCT since I skied. Maybe its time to invest in a dry suit.

I'm going to be sore.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wakeboarding. Special boats. Humm. I'm planning to put three bilge pumps in my project boat to pump water out. Just seems wrong to intentionally pump it into the boat. lol

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wakeboarding. Special boats. Humm. I'm planning to put three bilge pumps in my project boat to pump water out. Just seems wrong to intentionally pump it into the boat. lol

I'm with you there.

I'm 28 right now. I already have old man syndrome with wakeboard boats with giant wakes and speakers blasting. Those drive me nuts as well as a few of the jet ski's around here that are louder than drag cars. I got tired of them so I went to fishing in the no wake zone, and then they started doing 60mph toward the no wake zone buoys and cutting a 180 right at the buoy. Jerks!

WD40.1

Cadet

Resurecting a great thread!
Just signed up today to discuss some smart tabs, but that's not what's important here...

Sign me up for the Old School crowd!
At 53 years old, I still love to cut it up.

OK...so maybe I should dump the old '78 HO Graphite T1 for something with a little newer technology.
Either that, or at least get longer than a 65" ski.
That worked back then when I was lighter and stronger, but right now I'm sucking a lot of water getting up!
(Click pics for fullsize)

I think I can...I think I can...
dski1.jpg

Good thing I've got the adjustable wings on the fin to keep the tail stuck.
dski5.jpg

Sadie...our most faithful observer.
dski2.jpg

dski3.jpg

dski4.jpg

I've now added a ski tow pylon (NOT a tower) which makes a huge difference when pulling hard turns.
My wife also mentioned that she doesn't feel me pulling the boat around nearly as much anymore either.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I am 43 and do both but I have more fun on waterskis.

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Resurecting a great thread!
Just signed up today to discuss some smart tabs, but that's not what's important here...

Sign me up for the Old School crowd!
At 53 years old, I still love to cut it up.

OK...so maybe I should dump the old '78 HO Graphite T1 for something with a little newer technology.
Either that, or at least get longer than a 65" ski.
That worked back then when I was lighter and stronger, but right now I'm sucking a lot of water getting up!
(Click pics for fullsize)

I've now added a ski tow pylon (NOT a tower) which makes a huge difference when pulling hard turns.
My wife also mentioned that she doesn't feel me pulling the boat around nearly as much anymore either.

Good on you WD40.1! Nice work. My dad, taught me everything he knows about slalom skiing, now drops a ski in deep water. I know he longs for the good ol days of dock starts; but I won't let him. He's 65?

I can do both, but enjoy slalom so much more! Been skiiing since I was 12? Am 38 now and am learning to love it more with practice.
2008_Ski5.jpg