1988 Ski Supreme - ski pylon problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveoli

Cadet
The ski pylon on my 1988 ski supreme was showing signs of deep corrosion. I tried to remove the 2 U clamps and slide it out of the steel sleeve to remove it. The pylon was seized to the steel sleeve. The steel sleeve is welded to a steel plate. The steel plate mounts to what looks like the stringers. There are 4 bolts on each side. I tried to remove the steel plate and pylon as a assembly so I could replace the pole. PROBLEM.. 3 of the bolts on one side SNAPPED. To make the problem even worse, I broke a tap trying to repair oneof the bolt holes. So basicly... I have 1 bolt hole that wont be able to be used. Does anyone know if I can go oversized with the bolts? I cant see what the bolts screw in to. Is there a steel plate behind the fiberglass? Is it some kind of threaded sleeve that installed from the backside?
If its a threaded sleeve, I am probably going to be forced to repair the original threads. Please help if you have exprience with this type of boat.

Thanks and happy skiing !!

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Ski Supreme - ski pylon problem

I'm restoring a 88 Marlin Ski Magnum and have a slightly different pylon set up-but mine was just bolted through the stringers and there were washers and nuts on the back side.

A picture would help.

If you broke a tap off in the mount and can take it out, take it to a welding shop. they can get the tap out and the bolt removed without causing more damage.

As to remounting to the stringers, I suspect you need to get a look at the back side mounting. Might be time to add an inspection hole or replace a little flooring :(

steveoli

Cadet

I was thinking of using a magnet and feel the area out for some steel. Also was thinking of drilling out the bolts and retap to the next size up. When I was removing the bolt, they would come out about 1\4 of the way out and got stuck. There is probably some hidden corrosion on the back side of the bolt that got it stuck. I would hate to cut up the carpet and floor. The floors are fiberglass. I think I can deal without one bolt hole. Or maybe relocate the hole slightly but the I dont know whats behind the fiberglass. Steel plate or some type of treaded sleeve or some type of bung hole. Using a magnet may not be effective. I need to do something soon. The machine shop should be done making it this week.

This is the best picture I have right now. you can barely see 2 of the bolt holes

Attachments

• snip.JPG
    snip.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 2

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the port side seat and battery out, do you have access to the backside?

I suspect your floors are wood with a fiberglass layer over them, which is more typical construction for the era.

If you have to get access, you can use a hole saw to cut a nice neat hole and then when you finish fill it with a deck plate which will allow future access.

I would definitely try and replace all bolts as any movement of the pylon mount will cause additional stress, stretching and loosening of the bolts and mounts.

steveoli

Cadet

Thanks for suggesting looking in the area of the battery. I'll take a look and let you know. I have a freind stopping by with his work truck. His truck is like a rolling machine shop. He suggested using a reverse drill bit and reversing the bolt back into the hidden area never to be seen again. Thats okay with me if it works.

I bought this boat a few month ago. It was rough looking when I bought it. This is what it looks like today with alot of TLC. Notice that their's no ski pylon. LOL

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

Love the reverse seat on your engine cover! I am going to have to build a new cover now! That looks awesome.

What engine do you have and would you mind getting me a few pictures of the engine so I can see the wiring hose and cable routing? I have mine back together and had to make a few minor changes and would like to see how yours is layed out if you don't mind.

steveoli

Cadet

No problem Mark, I'll get you the pics this weekend. The engine is a Indmar 351W.240hp I think. I upgraded to electronic ignition so the wiring isnt original. This motor runs very smooth and very strong. 1187 hrs on the engine. Runs perfect with zero smoke. I wonder how long it will go before it requires rebuild. Using Mobile 1 10W40 high mileage formula synthetic oil.
I had the engine cover done over. The reverse seat cushion was originaly white. Had the drivers seat done over also. The rest of the interior is original. I was told that original interior is very rare for these boats. I took it out Sunday for another test run and to check the shaft packings. This boat is amazing. Tons of Torque out of the hole. The bow starts to porpis at 45 which is normal for these boat. It felt like it would go to 60 if I let it. Check out the work to the teac. I used Sikkens teac varnish on the interior teac and oil for the platform. Tons of prep work on the interior teac.
The new ski pylon is installed. Had to heli coil the bolt holes. Got the broken tap out too. Oh yea.. the new stereo just got installed. No pics of that yet.
Stereo equipment: Alpine marine head unit, 6x100 JL Audio amp, 5.25" JL Audio marine speakers X 4, 10" Bazooka tube in the bow. Sounds great but it needs to be tuned further.

Attachments

• cover.JPG
    cover.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bow.JPG
    bow.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
  • interior.JPG
    interior.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 0

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

It all looks great! I am revamping my interior and like all the teak on yours-might have to add some details to mine!

I got my ski pylon brace bolted back in last night and I have no doubt the brace would support the whole danged boat!

Look forward to the motor pics, though mine is a chevy based Mercruiser 5.7.

Thanks man-

The helicoil should be just fine for your repair.

steveoli

Cadet

J.Mark, post some pics of the work in progress. I would like to see how oyurs is put together. I'm, not familiar with the Ski Magnum boats. Is it a direct drive?

JGHALLWOTX

Recruit

I just started restoring a 1979 Ski Supreme and we are still in the discovery mode. Last night we were trying to get the ski pylon and substructure out of the boat. Everything is very corroded and the aluminum pylon is corroded to the carbon steel mount on the bottom of the hull. The bolts came out of the stringers with no problem, but we could not figure out how to get the mount loose from the hull. It turns and acts like there is a bolt holding it. What did you find with yours and where did you find replacement parts?

Slalom Skier from Texas!

Thanks,

jepoynter

Recruit
ski pylon problem

ski pylon problem

I have a question..i am new to this site and i own a 2000 Bayliner 175. My question is.. I have been giving a new skylon for a gift and the problem is- I dont have a ski tow hitch in the floor like most boats come factory with. So much question is how hard would it be to install one on my boat in the floor. Please help! :)

nh-skier

Recruit
Steve, this an old post, hoping u are still active. I have an '88 ski supreme that needs a pylon replacement -- great info in this post. What did u do to get a new pylon? Did u source a pylon and parts from a marine parts supplier, or did u do have to get a new pylon custom machined? If so, how much cost wise? I am more interested in a solid pylon than the original look, so sourcing pre-made is an option if I can find the right diminsions. If u went custom, was that ur only option? Any reccomendations for a pylon supplier would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Steve, this an old post, hoping u are still active. I have an '88 ski supreme that needs a pylon replacement -- great info in this post. What did u do to get a new pylon? Did u source a pylon and parts from a marine parts supplier, or did u do have to get a new pylon custom machined? If so, how much cost wise? I am more interested in a solid pylon than the original look, so sourcing pre-made is an option if I can find the right diminsions. If u went custom, was that ur only option? Any reccomendations for a pylon supplier would be greatly appreciated!

nh-skier

No, Steve last visited 7 years ago and none of the other posters visit any more.

Please start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.