First Slalom Ski

Sondar

Cadet
Another newbie here, looking for advice!

I'm new to water skiiing, at the tender age of 43. So far, after a few sessions, I'm pretty comfortable on 2 skis & I've decided it's time to take the plunge and try a single ski. Reading the learner ski post at the top of this forum was certainly interesting & I'm anticipating some face plants trying out the deep water starts, but hey, got to start sometime...

Can anyone advise on a good choice for a first ski? I'd like to get something that will last me well into intermediate ability as they're not cheap (here in Australia we pay nearly double the US price). I was thinking maybe the Connelly Outlaw as hopefully the hybrid shape will give me a bit of stability but also reasonable performance. What do you think?

By the way, I thought I'd posted this earlier today, but it seems to have disappeared, so apologies if I'm duplicating.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: First Slalom Ski

first learn buy getting up on 2 skis, then then lift up on one ski at a time, get the feel of which leg you want forward, (some people are right footed, some left) when you decide, which is front. use the slalom on the front foot, and a regular on the other, with the boot loose on your foot, now start learning to slalom, by dropping the loose ski. learn to do this, before trying a deep start. you will be much better off. have the spotter in the boat, note where you dropped the ski, for later retrieval.

skoboten

Recruit

Try an HO Comp Freeride. It's wider, got a keel for rougher water, but will still carve with the best of them. I don't ride my connelly concept anymore. Whenever I bring my HO out, experienced skiers are always impressed with the range of skiing you can do with it. Check one out.

aerospot

Seaman Apprentice

Someone once posted about finding your dominant foot,
Try sliding in socks across a smooth floor and notice which foot naturally leads...;)

bmowers

Seaman

Someone once posted about finding your dominant foot,
Try sliding in socks across a smooth floor and notice which foot naturally leads...;)

Or the others I have heard. Push someone from behind and see which foot comes out first to stabilize them. #2 Have them punt a dodge ball for football. That kicking leg is surely their dominant leg.

Brian