How long can the rope be to tow a tube? What's legal?

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just heard that in Pa. the tow rope is only allowed to be 50 ft. and mines 60. Is there any truth in this? And is it easier to tow a tube with a shorter or longer rope?

freddyray21

Commander
Re: How long can the rope be to tow a tube? What's legal?

Ski Tow Ropes

Ski tow ropes may not exceed the following lengths:

* Conventional water-skiing?80 feet
* Parasailing?300 feet
* Nonreleasable kite skiing?150 feet
* Releasable kite skiing?500 feet

The above is from this link. http://www.boat-ed.com/pa/course/p4-12_reqspectopwc.htm#TowingSkierSection

Most ski robes are 75ft standard length. The longer the rope the bigger whip you can have. I would think though 50 or 60 ft is enough for a tube though.

tommays

Admiral

i thing with the way tubes get wipped and have no control it is a good idea to keep the lenth on the short side

Tommays

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My tow rope for the tube is 75ft. I do not know of any length restrictions where I live but that is the length we can buy here off the shelf.

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice

My ski rope is 75', but my tube rope is 60' I actually thought 60' was standard issue for tube ropes. That's all they sell here.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have 5 tube tow ropes and they are all 60'
Our ski tow ropes are 75', but at one time we did have a ski rope that was 100'.
I don't recall why we ever purchased the 100' rope and I don't know if they are even available now.

Charles

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

OOPS !!!!
I stand corrected. Our tube ropes are 60ft as mentioned several times by other folk. I was reading the packaging for one of the ski ropes and thought it came from the tube rope.
Sorry for the confusion.
Ken

204 Escape

Ensign

We have 60' ropes for the tubes, and 75' ropes for skiing

OldMercsRule

Captain

Hmmmmmmmmm, never thought much about tube towin' rope lenghts, (mine are all 100' long, [and I sometimes tow more then one tube at the same time fer some real sport], and I and my kids, [now all adults and are very experienced towing tubes]). Shorter may actually be better fer the tubes, as others have stated: the "whip factor" of a longer rope may cause an inexperianced skipper issues.

It is real important to ponder towin' tubes from a tripod or elevated pylon, (very dangerous) as a tube can "dig" in the water after the person ridin' the tube falls off. That can cause some serious problems. #1 the rope could break n' snap someone's head off; #2 the tripod or pylon can snap, (not good); #3 the harness on the tube can fail, (not good fer potential snap back).

As to ski rope length. Most of my ropes are "Straight line" ropes that are 75' single handle with loops fer 15' off and shorter loops as well, that I have intentionally stretched with large skiers prior ta using 'em meself. (Don't like the "feel" of new ski ropes). I'm an old fart in fairly good shape that has skied very aggressively fer 40 years. I ski on a very aggressive ski, and 15' off 60' total is me favorite length. The extra 15' off makes it harder to get every bouy if yer skiin' a course, and makes the turns MUCH faster fer the skiier, (which I prefer). A 75' rope feels enough ta hang meself on every turn.

My overpriced $.02 JR
:D :eek: