Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
  • Dear Community Members,

Updated 9/29/20 - Upgrades have been pushed until 10/7/20

Over the last two years, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability, performance, and security. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance have revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software our site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this user experience to all members. We will be updating to a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?
    When will this be happening? The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 10/7/2020! The whole transition should take 30-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Management

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 205ss crownline-is 200 HP enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 205ss crownline-is 200 HP enough?

Hi everyone. New to this forum. Looking for some help. I’m debating on taking the purchasing a 2021 205ss crownline. I am concerned the 200 HP will be in a little on the light side. I have 3 kids who are very active. Ski, tube, wakeboard etc. Boat weights 3800lbs. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Opinion
    Most boat manufactures list the standard equipment motor which will move the boat. It will get the job done but barely if loaded. The largest motor offered is the one which will do the job much better

Example: My 95 Rinker (4200 lbs) came with a 7.4 and it has no problems doing anything asked. Folks who bought the same boat with a 5.7 complain how long it takes to plane and pull toys when loaded

Another thing which is in the mix is the EPA regs. Boats have to burn fuel cleaner these days.
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

My boat is about a foot shorter and almost 1,800# lighter (which is amazing to me). Supposedly my 3.0 is putting out 135HP. - Its a good mix for skiing and pulling a tube. My kids are all lighter, but adults and they ski and tube fine. I'm older and bigger (230#) and I can ski and tube behind it pretty well, albeit with a little more fight getting up.

Trying to shove the stern down and cut a wake for boarding would never work on my boat. I'm thinking that's the struggle you'd have on that boat too.

If you're just monkeying around and skiing and such for fun, it could work out fine. If you're remotely serious about the water-sports, you may be disappointed.

Comment

Keep in mind that any new inboard/outboard will have cat converter exhaust and these can become troublesome and expensive to repair over time; due to the issues of running an exhaust system really designed for dry exhaust in a wet exhaust application. IMHO cats that run @ 700* and have to be water cooled in a wet exhaust application are risky in a fiberglass boat. I would suggest a 4 stroke outboard instead; safer, less maintenance & headaches.
        1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
        4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

I would opt for the larger motor
          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Thanks for the reply’s. I am taking the boat out next weekend with the 200 to see how it performs. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Lou C the motor that is spec’d on the proposed bill of sale says “Mercruiser NAP 4.5l MPI ALPHA Non-cat (US limited supply) 200HP”

So I am assuming it will not have a cat converter by that description. Good point though.

The plan is to keep this boat for 7 years or 200 hours before kids are gone. What maintenance (other than routine) will need to be done? Thanks

Comment

I like the idea, but how they getting around the EPA , maybe just forget the comment, it might get political
                94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                07 Seadoo GTX
                Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Ah well then I guess they might be able to build a limited # of non cat engines, that is better for you, because of the issues you can sometimes have with the cat exhaust in a marine environment (check engine lights, alarms, very expensive parts cost). The rest is just typical I/O maintenance with fluid changes winterizing and drive pull and maintenance that has to be done yearly to avoid problems. Outboards while initially more expensive cost less for yearly maintenance and are safer in several important ways. I’ve been doing I/O maintenance close to 20 years and would not have another.
                  1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                  4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                  07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Working...
                  X