passenger seat

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/trevor-1990-malibu-20-xlss-ski-boat/7006153446.html

I have been in several boats, driven some, on water too. At this time, I am looking at fishing boats (aluminum boats). My wife has different ideas of what boats are supposed to be. So, I show my wife this CL, she said that's what she is talking about. I don't think she is realizing that we might end up with a boat lot in our backyard. LOL

While knowing this brand name - Malibu - is a good brand. What I am asking here is the front passenger seat, is not facing forward. Is that awkward position for regular recreational boating? I understand looking backwards to watch the water skiers, we wouldn't be doing much of water skiing (especially my wife wouldn't know how to drive a boat).

I might be preferring to seek other Malibu boat (or other brands, but NOT Bayliner). The cost is the factor (up to about $5k?).

alldodge

Staff member
What I am asking here is the front passenger seat, is not facing forward. Is that awkward position for regular recreational boating?

Yes its a ski boat, so the seat Malibu has positioned the seat to face aft for that reason

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that malibu is a dedicated ski boat as AD mentioned, the only reason to sit there is to watch the skier. that is the spotter position.

that boat (or any dedicated ski boat or wake-board boat) would not make for a good general boating experience. they are dedicated to reasonably calm waters. not enough dead-rise to be comfortable in anything over 1 foot waves. However they will tow a skier and turn 180 degrees within their own length at 30mph

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But in an emergency your wife MUST know how to drive the boat.-----Best get her to start learning tomorrow.-----Have her take a boating safety course.-----Includes learning how to use the VHF radio.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
There's nothing like being towed behind a tournament boat while skiing. Such a great dedicated boat doesn't usually make a good all-around family cruiser.