Thoughts on trainer/beginner skiis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kids are finally interested to try water skiing after years of prodding.

My daughter is 11, around 70lbs and 4' 8" tall.
My son is 9, closer to 60lbs and 4' 4" tall.

They're both intermediate level downhill snow skiers so I'm not sure if they need trainers, beginner or combo skis. Happy to hear your thoughts. Feedback on brands/models would also be appreciated!

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could go either way. There's nothing wrong with picking up a trainer ski set and trying them first, to get them used to being pulled.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I’d recommend a jr set over the smaller trainers. No brand in particular, but something like O’Brien Jr Celebrity. Many of these come with a spacer bar to hold skis together while getting the hang of starting. Use the bars or remove them - but with some snow skiing experience they may not need them. Jr skis will have kid-sized bindings and the mid-length will be smaller than adult skis and a little easier to handle when bobbing around in the water.

Many of the jr ski designs have been around for 10-15 yrs or more and just get annual graphic updates. I’d look for used gear and if bindings are in good shape they will work fine.

Have fun!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I remember learning on a smaller set of skis about when I was 9 or 10 at the summer cottage my family rented

about an hour on the dock with instruction and both my father and uncles explaining the mechanics

then an hour in the water with skis on prior to trying behind the boat

being an avid skateboarder as a kid helped me. I flopped my first attempt, and went about 400 yards the second attempt. after the 4th or 5th time up, I made it around the 95 acre lake without falling

I am pretty sure the down-hill skiing will help them.

maybe try a smaller set of skis first prior to buying Jr skis

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
fair warning snow skis and water skis are very different. I am a very strong snow skier, waterskis not so much (im better on a board because my snow skiing habits don't come out to get me)

good luck, have fun, they are young and bouncy, they will figure it out whatever you get.

TheGM1217

Cadet
What I have learned in teaching people to ski is that to forgo combos and have them learn on a slalom ski. The transition from learning on combos to a slalom is huge, in my opinion. Now if you don't have anyone to teach how to deep water start on a slalom and you don't think there will be any interest in learning how to slalom then by all means combos are the way to go. The main thing is just getting them on skis. Good luck

sangerwaker

Commander
What I have learned in teaching people to ski is that to forgo combos and have them learn on a slalom ski.

This could only work for adults with ambitions to slalom. Please don't do this with kids. Most kids have to see instant results. Too many failed attempts and most will not want to continue, no matter how much encouragement is given. Learning to start on a slalom can be very challenging. Few coordinated adults get up within 10 tries without very experienced coaching, especially behind the boat if you aren't equipped with a training boom.

I agree that the kids mentioned are large enough for jr skis and to skip the trainers. Their snow skiing skills will benefit them. Be sure to do some dry land practice on body positioning during the start and how to transition to the standing position. Put a handle in their hands and manually pull them up from seated on the ground so they know what to expect.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.