Protectant spray for bindings

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’ve looked off and on for years for something to spray on my ski bindings to protect them from dry rotting. I’m not having much luck. I’ve been using an Armorall type product but it doesn’t seem to help. I’ve actually had people tell me it could be harmful to neoprene. I’ve definitely noticed, like most things, new bindings just don’t hold up as long as the ones from the good ole days. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
303 producs
Lemon pledge

Agree with your comment on new stuff not lasting. Have a set of 49 year old Thompson skis with original bindings that are still soft and pliable

Have another set of name brand that are getting stiff

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’ve heard of 303 but never used it. And Lemon Pledge? No joke? That sounds cost affective for sure. I’m all about that!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for decades prior to armor all, etc. were even thought of lemon pledge was used on cars and boats. its full of oils and waxes to go into the fabric.

my upholstery guy has a relative with the original vinyl on a 1972 boat down here in FL. been applying lemon pledge to it since day one nearly 47 years ago.

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow that's awesome. I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks!

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
for decades prior to armor all, etc. were even thought of lemon pledge was used on cars and boats. its full of oils and waxes to go into the fabric.

my upholstery guy has a relative with the original vinyl on a 1972 boat down here in FL. been applying lemon pledge to it since day one nearly 47 years ago.

Of course this was made back when things were made to last.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My best solution is to keep stuff out of the sun. Slalom ski goes in a case when not in use. But skis go in the boat shed, not left in sun. Avoid leaving gear in the boat or on the dock. Best if it can dry out and not stay wet. But UV is the main enemy.

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep. The only time our things are in the sun is while we're on the boat. The wakeboard and slalom both go up on tower racks to minimize clutter in the boat. Other than that its in the garage. I even put the board and ski upside down on the racks to minimize sun exposure while we're out on the boat. But still they seem to be aging way too fast.