Gear/advice for a returning skier

Carl1783

Seaman
Greetings all,

I grew up waterskiing but haven't done it since college (10 years ago). I am now older and fatter and out of the game.

At my peak I would say I had average/intermediate skills. Could get up on a single no problem.

Now that I have a family and a boat, I am wanting to get back in it again and was looking for advice on what skis to get for myself.

I am 6'1" 230 lbs.

Thanks!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I like Radar skis alot - i'm about the same size and have a 69" P6 and it's an easy ski for open water. Now it's the Butter Knife and Katana for intermediate use. You could look at a Senate as long as your boat has some decent get up and go. Performance Ski and Surf has nice prices and you can call them for ideas. also check out ski-it-again.com

Carl1783

Seaman
I like Radar skis alot - i'm about the same size and have a 69" P6 and it's an easy ski for open water. Now it's the Butter Knife and Katana for intermediate use. You could look at a Senate as long as your boat has some decent get up and go. Performance Ski and Surf has nice prices and you can call them for ideas. also check out ski-it-again.com

The Radar Butter Knife looks like it would be a solid fit for me.

What about the O'brien Celebrity or the Connelly Big Daddy?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
the Celebrity is not a good slalom ski compared to Radar. And the big daddy is huge. If you go Connelly i would look at the 67 Outlaw or 69 Aspect. I had an "Outlaw" and even at 67" it was big enough. Not a fan of the swerve boots - if you go Connelly look for the Nova boot. If you go Radar the Vector boot is really nice - i have that.

PS - not trying to steer you into a certain size - it really depends on how fast you ski.

Last edited:

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also take a look at the HO Burner, if you're looking just for an open water ski. Miami Nautique seems to have the best price on new stock that's a couple of season old. I don't think there's been any major design changes to this ski.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
10 yrs out of school, that places you about 33 - 35, still a youngster. What is your boat and what is its HP? That will affect the size/shape/profile of ski you need, not just the max speed you plan to ski at.

Carl1783

Seaman
Boat is new to me. It’s an ‘86 Chris Craft Scorpion 196 LTD with a 5.0 Mercruiser. Picking it up soon, haven’t had it out on the water yet.