Looking for a new ski choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
Earlier this year I bought a set of HO Sports Burner Pro's (the green and black ones). I am not happy with these skis at all. I've been out of skiing for several years and have gotten back in within the last year, though. Bought these to replace a rather old set that had old school bindings. Here's my thoughts...

Pro's - Super easy to pop up on. Easy ride.

Con's - I hate the bindings. Hard to easily get nice and tight while in the water. Most importantly, I can't get them tight enough to feel good around the heel and rear half of my foot. Now granted I have rather small feet, but my 16 year old kid has size 11's and though it's better for him, he still has similar complaints.

Other big problem for me, because they are so wide and , to me, excessively floaty, I find them hard to manage in the water before starting. They push up way too much making it hard for me to hold the positions I'd like. They end up becoming awkard.

These would also be classified as a rather slow ski. Good for straight ahead and a bit out of the wake. You're not going to cut good turns with these, though. They fight on you that.

So while I'd call them beginner skis, I'd also say some of their characteristics would make them hard for beginners and annoying for intermediate.

I've been looking for something better. Something that will have better bindings. Second to that, as my kids advance and I get back into the groove more, cutting good angles will get more important. Looking online, I think I like the O'Brien Performer Pro's. Not sure if the bindings will be any better though. I don't mind spending a bit, but 800-1000 isn't in my priority right now. I'd rather save more for the boat itself and other things.

So, you guys have any thoughts on a better choice given the above?

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
The radar looks nice, but for now a good set of combos is fine. When my son gets more going for slalom in the future, maybe a dedicated ski.

oldjeep

Admiral
The radar looks nice, but for now a good set of combos is fine. When my son gets more going for slalom in the future, maybe a dedicated ski.

So you are looking for a performance set of combos? Not sure such a thing exists, but the performer pro is likely about as close as you are going to get.

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
So you are looking for a performance set of combos? Not sure such a thing exists, but the performer pro is likely about as close as you are going to get.

Not necessarily a high performance set, but a little better. Biggest thing at the moment is the bindings, especially for my small feet.

haulnazz15

Captain
Not necessarily a high performance set, but a little better. Biggest thing at the moment is the bindings, especially for my small feet.

I'm not sure that a "high performance" combo is really a thing. However, it's pretty hard to beat the old-style rubber bindings in terms of adjustability for a wide range of foot sizes. The wakeboard/slalom bindings are designed to work on a much narrower range of sizes and finding the bindings that fit your foot best may take trying on several brands and size ranges within that brand. I'd just find a nice used set of combos with the old-style adjustable rubber bindings (with the movable heel cup) and keep on skiing. Other than small differences in ski shape or length, I've never noticed too much difference in a set of combos. Start slalom skiing, then the differences in skis become a bit more evident. I slalom ski with double (HO Animal) boots, and I usually don't even both tightening the lace straps. My foot stays firmly planted in the ski and slips out of the ski easily if I wipe out.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe try attaching (gluing?) a neoprene foot bed on the ski where the bindings are - could give you more grip, tightness The O'Brien performer combos may be about as good as you can get - for combos. I'd be interested if you find something better - slalom days are limited

Status
Not open for further replies.