Upcoming first time out - hip problems ARGH!!!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After accomplishing finally getting up on the single ski last summer, (woo hoo for me!) - going from the Big Easy to the O'Brien Impulse - I was excited to get back to skiing this summer. However, a health issue has crept in at age 56 that may derail me. In November my work got us all Fitbit's and I got Fitbit fever and started amping up my walking to 20,000 steps or more a day. Then I noticed during snowboard season that my left hip was killing me and I can no longer cross my legs when I sit, yet I have photos of me with my legs crossed back in November which is when I amped up my daily steps. Being the cheapskate that I am, I was just going to bring this up to my Dr. at my annual physical in July. However, being my own worse enemy, I started looking online for a diagnosis and have it narrowed down to Bursitis or I may need hip replacement (which I really don't want to have to do yet). For Bursitis they say to stop doing what hurts you, which is my walking. Take Advil, stop walking and do stretches. If that doesn't work then maybe I can get a shot - which I found out my boss did and has had no reoccurrence. So, this week I have stopped walking and already have gained 2 pounds - I can't imagine how much I will gain by the time I get to the Dr. So it's been about 8 months of me still getting in 20,000 steps a day and dealing with the pain to the point that now it is chronic and standing in line at Sam's Club is MURDER! I'm sure the Dr. will say, "why didn't you come in sooner". I wasn't sure if doing stretches would tear a ligament or something so I just babied my hip to the point that my walking stride is shorter due to the pain.

Fast forward to this weekend we are finally taking the boat out for our first outing this year. I can BARELY line both my feet up as they would be in a single ski without it hurting. Not sure if I will even be able to get up. I am SOOOOO bummed right now. I think I'll start on the Mid LX since it is bigger just to see if I can even get up this year and what pain it will entail. Otherwise, I guess it will be back to double skis for me - OMG this sucks!!!

Anyhow, just had to vent.........wish me luck.
Vicki

Last edited:

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry to hear Vicki! Hopefully the issue will clear up quickly, dont overdo it early and lose the entire season - listen to your body!

Ive been worried myself... I did exactly the opposite this past winter. I have put on about 10lbs, so my first attempt on the slalom took three pulls to get up. The extra weight was definitely an issue, and Im not nearly as strong as I was at the end of last summer. I dont mind that as much as the risk of an injury.

See the doc... figure out what is going on, and do what you need to do to get it resolved... Hopefully not serious. 20K steps is quite a bit, especially if you were not taking rest days. It may just be your body telling you to take a break. We have a close friend who was running EVERY day... sadly it led to a fractured pelvis, and she was out of action for a while - but running is a LOT of impact.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry to hear Vicki! Hopefully the issue will clear up quickly, dont overdo it early and lose the entire season - listen to your body!

Ive been worried myself... I did exactly the opposite this past winter. I have put on about 10lbs, so my first attempt on the slalom took three pulls to get up. The extra weight was definitely an issue, and Im not nearly as strong as I was at the end of last summer. I dont mind that as much as the risk of an injury.

See the doc... figure out what is going on, and do what you need to do to get it resolved... Hopefully not serious. 20K steps is quite a bit, especially if you were not taking rest days. It may just be your body telling you to take a break. We have a close friend who was running EVERY day... sadly it led to a fractured pelvis, and she was out of action for a while - but running is a LOT of impact.

We notice that each year we get older we are never the same as the prior ending season. This year snowboarding was an exception I finally made it down a double diamond which I had not been able to conquer in prior years! lol

And no, no rest days in between. I was averaging 125,000 steps a week - and our work goal was 70,000 steps a week. Fitbit Fever!!! I am a little OCD Type A - can you tell? lol

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've heard that youth is wasted on the young!! :lol: and I'm at a point where I can agree.... :facepalm: No shame in that really, but can remember years ago when a good friend of mine lost his left leg.
He stepped on a downed power line at night in the rain - blew it slam off with 3rd degree burns over 60% the rest of his body. He bought a 17' Javelin just so other people could take him skiing after he learned how to slalom. Talk about turning some heads on the lake!!
Count your blessings.... and keep at it :)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Might be something fairly simple... my uncle found out, late in life, that one of his legs was just a tiny bit shorter than the other - maybe 1/8". Gave him problems with exercise as he aged, and when they discovered it, a simple shoe insert solved the problem. Go see your doctor!

oldjeep

Admiral
Sucks when the new aches and pains keep creeping in. But if you're planning on staying athletic then the best bet is to find yourself a good sports medicine doctor and get used to going in. Not going in just leads to longer lasting and worse injury.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Pain is a wonderful indicator of many things. For watersports, however, my wife's favorite activity is riding on her airchair. I tow her at 15 mph and she can float along as comfortable as can be, even in rough water. She used to slalom and trick ski but some arthritis and a bad whiplash injury fifteen years ago made those too uncomfortable. The kids get more air and crash much more than her, but they do not have as big a smile as she does.
I have more trouble than her. however, as it does not seem to be in my skill set to just sit still and use no effort to cross the wakes.