Wakeboard pylon idea

ssaumure

Cadet
Was hoping to get the communities input on an idea I have. I am currently restoring a boat and want a wakeboarding pylon. I was thinking of running three 2X6s between the stringers with a hole drilled through the first two and the floor for the post. They would be glassed inside and out for moisture protection and when not in use the hole would be covered by a deck plate. I would run cables to support the top of the post as well but not sure how I would configure them yet. Just curious if the post base set up is a good way to go or not?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That might work but it sure seems a lot more effort that making one out of aluminum or steel. Just a ski pylon is fine for most boarding. FlyHigh makes an extension pylon that you can even put on top of a tower, if you want a really high tow point.

tgietz

Recruit
Hi, Im Kris and I just got into the boat ownership scene myself. I was looking at building my own pylon as I have some metal and woodworking skills. After adding it all up I realized I would be into it about $150 to $200 depending on any changes I would have made mid-build. I really wanted an affordable but safe alternative to a tower, so I did a little digging on the internet and if found this company that makes pylons here in the states.

Here is their website http://www.insanitypylons.com/insanitypylons/theoriginal.html

I have only used it a few times but so far its been great for setting up, taking down and the best part about it is I didn't have to mount anything into my boat. My father-in-law has a similar boat and I let him take it for his recent trip to the lake and he thought it was great.