tower on a short boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyIIsmitz

Cadet
Hey everyone! Its been a while since I've been on here.. busy with projects with wheels, not props.

I have a question. What's y'all opinion on putting a wake tower on a short (like 16') boat?

I bought a 16' Renken bowrider with a 140 merc in October. I built the tower over the winter & its ready for paint. After having the boat in the water I'm afraid the added weight, up high (tower weighs around 70 lbs) may adversly affect the handling of this short boat, especially pulling an adult wakeboarding.

I've built towers for a coulpe of my friends & have had no problems, but that was on 19' & 20' boats.

So what do you think? Is a tower too much for the sweet 16 or not?

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
There are some jet boats in that range that have towers on them. They are ok for light recreational use, but if you have a strong wakeboarding pulling, they can realy heel over the boat, enough handling becomes tricky.

chevyIIsmitz

Cadet
Thanks
Kinda what I was afraid of. The narrow beam of this boat, with a 7' leaver sticking up, and a 250lb guy cutting hard... May be more than I want. Probably just pull from the transom, or maybe a shorter pylon.

Any other input is welcome..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks
Kinda what I was afraid of. The narrow beam of this boat, with a 7' leaver sticking up, and a 250lb guy cutting hard... May be more than I want. Probably just pull from the transom, or maybe a shorter pylon.

Any other input is welcome..

a 250# guy cutting hard on a slalom pulling from the transom on a 16' boat.....been there, done that, pulled the boat on its gunwale, took on a bunch of water..... then I bought a bigger boat the following year. couldnt imagine a 7' lever arm like you describe above. Then again, same guy behind a '74 switzercraft ski boat with a ski pylon, and the boat came completely over when the prop came out of the water

chevyIIsmitz

Cadet
It's mostly the kids being towed & me (170lbs). I still think I'll probably go for a short transom mounted pylon. I hate that I spent the time to build the tower without testing the boat in the water first.. Oh well, maybe someone on Craigslist needs a cool 1/4 arch custom tower.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a tower mounted on a Larson DC 170 ( 17 footer ), Mercruiser 3,0L, 130 horse. I have had zero problems with a 210 guy cutting hard on a single ski or kneeboard. A hard cut tends to pull the boat a little, but not tipsy whatsoever.

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think if you know it's coming you can steer out of their pull. My brother pulls hard, you can feel him on a big tiga. But if you turn into their pull they loose their thunder quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.