Do I need to buy a dedicated wakeboard rope?

bmowers

Seaman
Hi, all. My wife and I are just getting into wakeboarding and are excited about the sport. This March we went down to Winter Garden FL and took 3 days of lessons with a pro. When summer rolls around in Michigan we will board behind our Bayliner 175. We are not yet comfortable with crossing the wake as of yet. Both of us can get up on the board every time. Now for my question, Do we need to buy a dedicated wake board rope? My first love is waterskiing and I have 3 ropes for that sport including one that is 10 sections and multi colored. Can I just use that one? How critical is the wakeboard rope at our level?

oldjeep

Admiral
Wakeboard ropes don't stretch as much and have wider handles. For beginning it won't matter at all. I've got a cheap wakeboard rope/handle that I use just so that the kids aren't using my more expensive ski rope ;)

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You don't need one to start, just like you don't need a waterski rope when you start skiing. After a short while it makes a difference, however. Think of it as trying to bounce a basketball on a wrestling mat. It's less work and more consistent to wakeboard with a non stretch rope. The non stretch rope is also better for kneeboarding, and hydrofoiling.

Oh, and the faceplants in wakeboarding are much harder than on waterskis so take the time to learn your edges. Good luck.

bmowers

Seaman
You don't need one to start, just like you don't need a waterski rope when you start skiing. After a short while it makes a difference, however. Think of it as trying to bounce a basketball on a wrestling mat. It's less work and more consistent to wakeboard with a non stretch rope. The non stretch rope is also better for kneeboarding, and hydrofoiling.

Oh, and the faceplants in wakeboarding are much harder than on waterskis so take the time to learn your edges. Good luck.
Ok, thanks Rallyart, Yep I have already had that first face plant and boy did it come out of nowhere man!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Non-stretch are also safer from the drivers point of view. Beginners tend to hang onto the rope far too long after a fall, and I've seen them recoil directly into the back of the driver! Wake specific ropes have next to no recoil if someone does hang on.

bmowers

Seaman
Non-stretch are also safer from the drivers point of view. Beginners tend to hang onto the rope far too long after a fall, and I've seen them recoil directly into the back of the driver! Wake specific ropes have next to no recoil if someone does hang on.
That is interesting and would be a big vote to getting just such a rope for us beginners. Thanks!