where to attach tow rope?

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1972 Glastron 16' Bowrider and im wondering where to attach the tow rope for pulling a tube...i have 2 "u" shaped hooks that are mounted on the stern (the hoops you use to secure the boat to the trailer) and then there's 2 cleats, one on each side of the splashwell decks...where should i fasten a rope to pull tubes and the like...?

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
Re: where to attach tow rope?

BTW...Im running a Mercury 1150 outboard motor..Thanks!

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

don't use the cleats. you need the Y attachment. most common brand is airhead. it attaches to each tow hook and then you attach your tube rope to the other end.

airhead tube harness is what it is called.

Bifflefan

Commander

You can use either or both of the rings on the transom.
I pull 2 tubes at once (sometimes), one on each side. When tubing (one tube) I tend to use one or the other. When pulling a skier or wake board I use a Rope that attaches to both sides with a hook in the center.
They make ones out of cable that have a pulley on it, but I don't like those.

jimbo3123

Seaman Apprentice

I've towed other boats (but never a tuber) using a single line run through both trailer tie-downs with a bowline knot at the end so it forms a triangle with the tie-down fittings on the transom at two of the corners and the end of the line 6-8 feet out.

I'm sure this applies for any time that you have a tow line out, but you have to be very careful to keep tension on the line, especially when starting in order to make sure that the tow line doesn't end up in your prop.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the advice! Im new to this skiing and tubing thing...I posted this last night without really taking a good look at things...and yes, after looking at the cleats they are not that secure to be pulling things...i figured the tiedown hoops was the best place to tie to...and after looking at it today i thought, "what a great idea it would be to have a device that tied to both hoops and then tie the tube to it"....so i was really happy to hear that there is such a thing...i will be getting one of those...Thanks!