Choosing an older boat for wakeboarding

jordanh6

Recruit
I am in the process of buying a used boat mainly for wakeboarding with a little bit of skiing as well.
I am not sure which type of boat to buy either an I/O or an inboard.

Currently my options are:
1996 20' Centurion Vision 2000 with a tower - Inboard 350 merc
1999 20' Crowline with tower - I/O 260Hp
1996 Malibu Response with tower - Inboard

Which boat will produce the best wake?
Are inboards better for wakeboarding and skiing?
Are centurions mostly ski boats? and will adding fat sacs make them much better?

Any information will be helpful

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Choosing an older boat for wakeboarding

Inboards are mainly ski boats. I/O's typiaclly make a larger wake.
That's the only answer I know, but it's a start.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All depends on how serious you want to get into wakeboarding. If you plan to spend more than 50% of your boating time wakeboarding, then by all means, look into the Centurion or the Malibu. But if you plan cruise lakes and rivers, entertain friends or go long distances then the I/O would be the better option, you can always add an after market tower for 800$ and a few ballasts for 100$ a piece and enjoy a very good wakeboard experience while saving on fuel and props!

Also research previous owners. Not to generalize but a wakeboard specific boat might have been a little more beaten up. They tend to attract a younger crowd and we all know teens can be a little rougher on daddy's boat than daddy would be. Same could go for an i/o but the percentage laws tend to go the other way!

I am sure which ever you choose will be right for you. I never owned a wake specific boat but friends of mine that do tend to prefer cruising in my bow rider than their guzzlers. As for wakeboarding goes, my bow rider with a phat sac and proper prop can kick a pretty wake, not crazy huge cause I have to work the next day, and for that I need my knees, ahahah

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Ugggh here we go again.

V-Drive, period.

Bigger wake than an I/O, more seating capacity than an I/O, usually built in ballast, safer for kids that like to jump and swim around boats, better wake, usually already has a tower, value holds better.... um yea.

Newer inboard style boats, say 1975 on up, are usually reguarded as sport purpose boats... skiiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding... etc. Nore often than not, if you look at 2000 and newer model boats you will already have a crusie control system (perfect pass), built in ballast, nice stereo, and a powerful V8 propped to get you out of the water, have trackign fins under the boat to make it much easier to keep a straight line in the water.

The come in 2 types, Vdrive and Direct Drive. Vdrives have the engine where a I/O usually does, but still has the prop under the boat.... these produce the bigger wakes. Direct drive compromise floor space because the engine is in the middle of the boat.... but the ski pole is usually in front of the engine and makes for a very solid pull on skis.... these are usually not equiped with wakeboard equipment, but with enough added ballast they can make a nice wake but are designed to make a wake as flat and smooth as possible for skiiers to cross.