How many hp do i need to wakeboard tube or ski?

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How many hp do i need to wakeboard tube or ski?

there are many mixed responses and it is kind of confusing. some say they have boarded behind 25 hp and some say they wouldnt use less than 90. personally im looking at a 15 ft. with a 70 hp that i want to wakeboard and tube with but now am worried it wont work. everyone will be around 200 lbs. i am not sure what to do

also is there a difference between skiing and wakeboarding

skiiing, is like skating. you have two ski's or one, that the skiis point forward, and your body is facing the boat,
water_skiing.jpg

Wakeboarding is like skateboarding, or snowboarding. your board faces the forward, and you are turned 90*
wakeboarding.jpg

MikDee

Banned

Well, I would say anyone who think's they're boat may struggle, maybe a hydrofoil will get you on plane faster, and help you get that skier up easier, & faster, or trim tabs, or a 4 blade prop, although the prop is more expensive ;)

InTheRiver

Cadet

Using the boat in my avatar ^^^^ I've pulled my buddy's tubing behind my 16' spectrum with a 25HP mercury OB. It took a wile to get up on plane, when we did it was pretty funny. I could run anywhere from 2-3 people in that boat pulling 175lb guy on a tube. Sometime the tuber would have to hop to get us on plane, this all ended when I was pulling a 220+lb guy and it took most of the lake to finally get him up on plane. Well I though it would be a great idea to whip him :eek: yup. Once momentum took over the corner and most of the side of the boat went under only to pop right back up and toss me and my buddy in. be careful using small underpowered tow boats.FWIW

overload

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 90 hp on a 16 foot boat and it came with a ski pylon. I would say that would be minimum for half-way serious skiing/wakeboarding on a fully loaded boat and no problems. A 115 hp should be fine, a 75 hp is going to be shaky. You can tube on anything that moves.