Wakesurfing behind a I/O??

Daddydonjuan

Cadet
Ok guys -- this seems to be a pretty big topic and I have a friend who swears that it is all hype that you cannot fall into a prop that is moving forward.

Personally I can only think of one type of I/O that I would wake surf behind and that would be one with a Swim platform or a Extended back that recesses the outdrive (kinda like a racing hull that some of the Marada's had in the late 1990's)

What do ya'll think? I have searched the internet and seem to find only 1 picture of a hand injury that "claims" it was from wakesurfing but I can't comfirm it.

PS - I did email mythbusters - that would be a cool segment.

Euro95

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Wakesurfing behind a I/O??

I think it's a strange way of surfing anyway, why expose yourself to danger when you can ski and wakeboard over the waves with alot less danger.

Never done it, never will.

Daddydonjuan

Cadet

Euro -- I said that same thing at first and thought it looked boring BUT after my buddy talked me into trying it behind his Supra which throws a massive wake -- I changed my mind - (great for those crowded, rough weekends)

You should at least try it once.

tommays

Admiral

With EVERY group that promotes wakesurfing saying it is dangerous why would anybody think otherwise :confused:

And when and I/O is on plane the A/V plate is on the surface with the porp tips only 1" away and right at the rear of the drive :eek:

Daddydonjuan

Cadet

Again -- I agree it is dangerous -- but the question still remains.

Can you fall into the prop?

And I know there are tons of Drunk "Boating Idiots" :( out there doing it - how are we not seeing TONS of injuries? (could it be lack of speed? or are that many people just lucky?)

Just curious that is all.

GiMLit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I certainly do not want to be mean or anything but......................
Go try it!
Gee whiz what a silly question and topic.

I told my timid 12 yr old son when we got our newest tube ( a two person tube with back rests etc ) that he should feel much more confident riding on this tube than he did on our other pancake style tube.
Then after a couple runs down the lake not being reckless at all I come up on a wave that I wasn't expecting, stupidly I throttle down slightly to lighten the hit/bounce for those sitting in the bow, which slackens the rope and leaves the tube to bounce unloaded into the wave. Doesn't he relax his grip just then and fly about 5 ft in the air out the front of the tube and come down on the tow rope that was just taking up the slack.
He took the rope across the throat, then the tube goes over top of him. Luckily he came out just shook up and with just rope burn on his neck.
Of all people for this to happen to it happens to the most timid child that comes on our boat.

Anything can happen even if you are careful.
Don't be stupid and tempt the gods.
BE SAFE, boating and watersports are great BUT BE SAFE!

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With EVERY group that promotes wakesurfing saying it is dangerous why would anybody think otherwise :confused:

And when and I/O is on plane the A/V plate is on the surface with the porp tips only 1" away and right at the rear of the drive :eek:

I cant comment for sure, But I think for it to be done on a I/O the bow has to be sky high, not on plane.

That creates the "wave" when the bow is very high at low speeds.

Bad for vision, bad for control.

I do not think one would fall forward to hit the prop, not saying it cant happen, but if you really think about it, the boat is traveling at 9-10 mph, the "surfer" falls the boat still travels forward, it would seem like the "surfer" would have to be drug by a rope, or something to get into the prop.

I wouldnt risk it though, just find a friend with a real towboat :)

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do it behind my 220 Select. Use the right equipment such as a braided handle rope which can't snag on the rider. its a 20 ft rope with 2 3 ft extensions. 20 feet behind my tower puts me no less than 6 ft behind my swim platform. You got it right when its gets busy or the winds pick up its still a ton of fun. It used to be we would just anchor or go in until near dusk. Now we do this.

I tried wake surfing the other day and it is by far the funnest things I have ever done. I wake board and ski, but would give all that up in a heart beat if I can surf. But yes it is dangerous, all the pros say dont surf behind anything but an inboard with a fixed prop that is under the boat. Not even jet drives. that does not mean your in/out board with a platform. I went behind a tige that we got to throw a 4 ft wake it was awesome. but only use a braided rope and dont even try it on any thing that you could hit the prop my life is worth way more then a quick thrill.

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not all the pros. Just the ones with v-drive sponsors.

tommays

Admiral

ry%3D320

If it can go BAD it will go BAD :rolleyes: just be safe

Moku'ula

Cadet

The answer to the question - sadly - is yes.

I think you're just as likely to wreck yourself on the back of the boat or the top of the drive, but the prop is the one thing you seem to worry most about back there...

It all depends on how you are wakesurfing. The stuff where you are way back and holding the rope seems safer, but you never know. Anyway - here's how I do it - since adding ballast the wave has gotten even better.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=38463281

Regardless - it's super fun.

Jef

Daddydonjuan

Cadet

Spent the weekend on the lake with Buddy who wakesurfs the I/O -- We have a malibu and I loaded up the ballast and let him ride a nice wake, but then we jumped in his boat and he showed me his version of "wakesurfing"

He was towing himself with about a 15 foot rope from the very back of the boat. (which when your used to wakeboarding it seems really close to the boat) but He never let go of the rope or tried to walk in closer -- he was just riding up and down the wake ripping 180s, 360's and pretty much shredding it!

I would call that more "Skurfing" but after watching it and trying it there is no way you could hit the prop.... and by the way it was IMO more active and fun then wakesurfing!!

I still don't think actually wakesurfing close to a I/O is the smartest idea but I wish Mythbusters would do an episode on that!??!

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The answer to the question - sadly - is yes.

I think you're just as likely to wreck yourself on the back of the boat or the top of the drive, but the prop is the one thing you seem to worry most about back there...

It all depends on how you are wakesurfing. The stuff where you are way back and holding the rope seems safer, but you never know. Anyway - here's how I do it - since adding ballast the wave has gotten even better.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=38463281

Regardless - it's super fun.

Jef

Jef - What type of boat are you using in your wakesurfing video? I wasnt sure by your post if it is an inboard or an in/out.

thanks.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

t's not the props you need to worry about it is being that close behind an engine exhaust for any length of time and it is illeagle in several states.

Roach sponsors bill banning "teak surfing"
January 11, 2006
OLYMPIA?Prompted by requests from her constituents, state Sen. Pam Roach, R-Auburn, has prime-sponsored legislation to ban ?teak surfing,? an activity in which someone clings to the swim platform or some other part of a moving boat.

Last August, a 22-year-old woman died after inhaling a fatal amount of carbon monoxide while teak surfing on Lake Tapps, which is located in Roach?s 31st Legislative District. According to a newspaper story, it was at least the second time in two years that someone died on Lake Tapps while hanging on to a moving boat?s swim platform.

?Teak surfing might be a wild thrill for those doing it, but it?s clearly a dangerous activity that can kill,? Roach said. ?We?ve had at least two teak surfing deaths on Lake Tapps in recent years, and we don?t want to see more deaths.?

Roach?s legislation, Senate Bill 6364, has been referred to the Senate Natural Resources, Ocean and Recreation Committee. No public hearing date has been set for this proposal.

According to the Coast Guard, carbon-monoxide concentrations released from the backs of ski boats can be as high as 40,000 to 80,000 parts per million. Concentrations as low as 200 parts per million can be fatal over a period of time. Exposure to a high concentration of carbon monoxide can cause a rapid loss of consciousness.

?When people are teak surfing, they?re being pulled along by the boat, with their heads very close to the boat motor, and they?re breathing in very dangerous amounts of exhaust fumes,? Roach said. ?Another danger is that teak surfers are within inches of the boat propeller, so they risk serious injury there as well. Teak surfing is simply an activity that is too dangerous, and we need to outlaw it.?

Teak surfing gets its name from the type of wood used on some boat platforms. While many states, including Oregon and California, have outlawed teak surfing, it is legal in Washington.

new boat guy

Seaman

from that video normal wakeboarding looks more fun then that

cornercanyon

Seaman

Well, I try to learn something new everyday. Now I know what 'teak surfing' is.

Wake surfing not only looks dangerous I believe it is in more ways than discussed here. Several folks have mentioned how it is great once the lake crowds up. So they slow down in an effort to surf.

The best surfing requires a good size 'wave' or wake. To do this the boat must not plane; reducing visibility and manueverability for the captain. So at a time when likely too many boats are out they start throwing big wakes.

While the boat may be going a steady speed the surfer is moving up and down the wave at different speeds. A fall as the surfer approaches the boat may allow the surfer to fall toward the boat at a velocity greater than the boats allowing the surfer to catch up.

Just my two cents. Surfing is a lot of fun, but I have yet to see a safe way to do so behind a boat.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last August, a 22-year-old woman died after inhaling a fatal amount of carbon monoxide ...
Sounds like an argument in favor of using an outboard or stern drive with underwater exhaust. Still wouldn't want to be that close to the prop though.

According to the Coast Guard, carbon-monoxide concentrations released from the backs of ski boats can be as high as 40,000 to 80,000 parts per million.
Those boats need a tuneup. Carburetted 4 stroke engine-out CO concentrations should be in the 1-2% (10,000 to 20,000 ppm) range, and even less for a modern fuel injected engine. More than that means you're running too rich. Boats use enough gas already, don't waste more on pollution.