Homemade Tower rope attachment

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up a bowrider this last Fall and just now getting it water-ready. It has a homemade tower that appears pretty stout, but instead of using a proper rope attachment point, the previous owner used a 2in ball that would normally go onto your trucks bumper. Obviously, its going to be stout enough, but does anyone see an issue with the rope itself?

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any idea what this is? At first, I thought it could be a tow point since it's right above the outdrive. But there is nothing structural under it, so I'm at a loss

Attachments

• photo331940.jpg
    photo331940.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo331941.jpg
    photo331941.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 5

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry for getting back slowly but I have not been on in a bit.
The bottom picture is of a tow point. Usually they are on the upper deck centerer and above the transom itself. I would be good for waterskiing or tubing. Usually they are factory installed and strong.
The trailer ball should be just fine for towing from the tower for knee boarding or wake boarding. Also handy for starting beginners on waterskis.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought it could be a tow point, but that portion of the transom isn't supported well. It's an older OMC 3.8L with hydraulic tilt and trim that raises or lowers the whole engine and outdrive assembly, so the transom isn't built heavy like on my outboard fishing boat or other Mercruiser sterndrives I've owned in the past.