oBrien kneeboard - hook

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBtwist

Seaman
I got an obrien kneeboard with our boat purchase and it didn't have a hook. I bought one of these:

https://obrien.com/product/obrien-kneeboard-aquatic-hook/

I installed it with threaded inserts and epoxied it in...it came out today while pulling an adult.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to fasten a hook onto the board. I'm not good enough to get up without a hook.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the hooks are for after you get on plane. too much force to pull you out of the water by it.

JBtwist

Seaman
hmmm...interesting. On my buddy's board, we always used to pull up out of water with handle on hook. I thought it was because it was retrofit mounted.

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have never heard of a hook like that and I have been knee boarding for 20+years. We have always started off in deep water, laying on the board with one hand palm up and the other palm down on the rope grip. We started doing that after a buddy had both palms up and the rope broke and the grip hit him on the bridge of the nose. He was bloodied but didn't break it.
When the boat and board start to plane with elbows planted we hop up in one movement so our knees touch our elbows and then lean back, tighten the straps and off we go.
Keep practicing JB, you will get the hang of it.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Never tried a hook. Maybe I am missing something awesome? I put my hands palm down over the rope handle, and grip the board with my fingers under it and my thumbs on the corner of the handle.
After getting a new knee last year, I can't bend enough to ride the knee board now.

JBtwist

Seaman
the hook was nice because when riding, you could hook it and give your arms a break.

Interesting. I had only done it once before and that board definitely had a hook...and considering obrien sells one... I'm just sayin' :)

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the manufacturer makes one, it seems reasonable to think that they thought that you might use it. In my next life, when my knee bends again, I will look into that.

Our latest kneeboard had a hook, but the older ones haven't. Learning on the older ones made the hook not very usefull.

That said, did you just put a screw right through the board? If so, it's likely going in to foam which isn't very structural. The proper thing to do (in my opinion) would be to core out a hole. Then fashion a G10 rod with a threaded hole in the middle of it and bolt the hook to that.

The cheap way would be to get a bolt that goes all the way through the board and put a not on the other side.

I vote that you just figure it out without the hook, it's really not all that useful and learning how without the hook isn't too steep a learning curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.